PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I was cleaning the counter the other day, and unbeknownst to me, I knocked over a small vial of the liquid my son uses for his e-cigs. Didn't notice it. After a while,I noticed an oily liquid on my hand. I paid no attention to it, and when I finished my cleaning, I washed my hands, and then went downstairs to my cave to smoke a bowl. By the time I got downstairs, I was feeling a bit woozy. Then I figured it out, came upstairs and saw the tipped over vial. The liquid had been absorbed through my skin. Keep in mind that an e-cig holds mere drops of this liquid. I was beginning to be quite nauseated, and began to develop a rip-roaring headache. I phoned my cousin, a physician who is a professor of toxicology at a medical school. He had me run through my medicine cabinet and told me to take a Zofran, an anti-nausea medication, and told me that I wouldn't die from the nicotine, but might feel lousy for a few hours. After a bit the nausea began to subside, and I retired to my bed to wait it out. In time, I felt human again. Judging from the amount of spilled liquid and from the area of skin that was affected, it was calculated that I had absorbed an amount of nicotine equivalent to two cartons of cigarettes.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
E-cig liquid can be very powerful stuff and should be handled with extreme care, and most especially kept away from kids. Ravkesev may have absorbed the equivalent of half a pack of cigs or more worth of nic all at once. If washed off immediately there's usually little problem but if given time to be absorbed then......

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fair warning, and thank you for passing it along. I'm not around e-cig smokers, so I might not recognize the

problem if I encountered it. It needs to be locked up from kids. Pets too.

Jan 8, 2013
I've gotten that stuff on me a number of times. I use it to stay away from the cigarettes, and in my variable wattage device I get my liquid mixed with 18 to 24 milligrams of nicotine. I personally haven't had any issues after getting the stuff on me, but I can see the possibilities of it, especially if you use higher nicotine. Some places will mix up to 34 milligrams of nicotine. I see no reason for that much as I used to smoke a pack and a half a day. 22 is usually my happy spot. Still the stuff should be handled with care and definitely kept out of reach of children. Most places are using child proof lids now, as I believe they all have to by a certain time frame because of new FDA regulations. Sorry you had a bad experience with the stuff. Sounds like you got nicked out pretty hard. Glad you're feeling better.

petersonson

Might Stick Around
Mar 28, 2013
Cleveland, TN
A buddy of mine decided it would be a good idea to put some of that stuff in his mouth for a "good hit". Needless to say he got hit all right. Right on his butt and into a toilet his lunch did go.
Glad you turned out all right ravkesef.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Absolutely on target about keeping the stuff away from kids. If anybody reading this has the stuff around, please make sure that it's stowed where children can't possibly get near the stuff. My youngest (the son in question,) is 25, so we don't have any short people around the house, but I suggested to him that it might be a good idea to keep his chemicals in a secure location in his room. Nicotine intoxication won't kill you, but it sure can make you wish it did.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
The "straight stuff" can indeed lead to a dirt nap. Even the 100 mg per ml nicotine liquid that home e-cig liquid blenders use is extremely dangerous and it is far more dilute than the pure chemical. If they used "pure" nicotine on horses back in the day they must have diluted it a heck of a lot before administering it.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I posted before under crazy I think, Cosmic and a few others responded that happened to me a short time ago cleaning my pipes all 20 after a month of no cleaning no rubber gloves! I forgot years ago in college I was an Entomology major and we used Nicotinic Acid bombs in greenhouses to control pests a non selective insecticide it has a very high re entry time! The label describes nicotine poising to the tee! :crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.