PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
img_00721-600x450.jpg

A very big thank you to Mike (didache) for the tobacco.
Mike was downsizing and had a little tobacco to give away.

No one wanted the 'Cherry Cavendish' so Mike offered it to me.
The parcel came with a few other tobacco's in it.
1. Mike's Mixture - his own concoction he said, hope you like Latakia!

I loved it, boy what a blend. Peppery, cocoa, spicy, floral, creamy and heavenly.
2. MacBarens Scottish Mixture. Mike says he bought it in Poland this spring. It may well be the most popular pipe tobacco in Continental Europe, you can buy it absolutely everywhere, he said.

I thought it was not harsh like Borkum Riff. But had no casing or topping, a little one dimensional. Quite mild, similar to OTC Blends like Clan or St Bruno. I would not buy it despite it's popularity. Nice to try it though.
3. Cherry Cavendish - Mike says this is roughly 10 years old someone gave it to him as a part trade. Mike is not an aromatic smoker so its been sitting in a draw.

This was a 50gm pouch and still moist inside the pouch. You could smell the cherry. It was smooth, creamy, a subtle taste off cherry. Like a brandy. Very nice.
I thank Mike very much for his kindness, and thank you for the unexpected extra tobaccos, your Mike's Mixture could be commercially sold, it was special.
All my thoughts and wishes.
George

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
It was my pleasure. Better going to someone who will use it than sitting forever in a drawer.
I'm glad you liked 'Mike's Mixture'!
Mike

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Ha!
I wondered how long it would take for someone to ask!
It all started when I tried a tin of Squadron Leader. I thought it was 'ok' but I prefer my English mixtures to be a bit more creamy and smoky. I just thought that the SL was a little 'light'.
So I mixed it 50-50 with some Dan Tobacco Old Ironsides. OI is much more of a 'Lat Bomb' and the resultant mix was very nice and much more to my taste! The mixture seemed to balance the latakia of the OI with the Virginias of the SL.
As it happened I also had a little Robert Lewis' Orcilla Mixture hanging about. This is an oriental with more than a touch of Turkish about it. I found it just a little 'sour' to the taste (as some orientals can be) so I added a little to the mixture, just to boost the taste with a little oriental spice.
So the recipe for Mike's Mixture is:
50g Squadron Leader

50g Old Ironsides

10g Orcilla Mixture
And that's it! Having discovered this, I keep a little humidor jar of it handy and smoke it at least a couple of times a week. The occasional time someone smokes it, they love it! Everyone should have their own special mixture.
Sadly I only have two tins of OI left - the Orcilla and the SL are easily obtainable here, but I need to keep my eye open for a stash of the OI if 'Mikes Mixture' is going to survive.
Mike

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Jay - I haven't but you have now put the idea into my mind. Is a relatively small run possible as I can't make more than 200g or so at once?
Mike

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Mike, that depends entirely on the size of your press. I can comfortably press say 250g at a time but usually it is much less, more like 100 - 150g.
I recently pressed a Virginia, Burley, and Perique mixture and after a couple of weeks took it out and broke it up. It was good but not perfect so I added more Virginia and pressed it again. Result was perfect.
Mixing blends is one thing but pressing them in my opinion gives better results.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.