PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Some of my favorite pipes have a fairly small bowl (Briarworks OR01), and they smoke just a tiny bit warmer than my other pipes. The main difference is that short-stemmed, small-bowled pipes are less forgiving when it comes to packing and lighting. Here’s what worked for me:

Make sure your tobacco is dry, pack just a bit loose (ChasingEmbers’s gravity fill and very light tamping method works), but most importantly, when you light it, don’t suck the flame way into the bowl. Hold your lighter a bit further up and only let the tip of the flame tickle the tobacco. Starting with a proportional ember size makes a difference—if you just suck down the whole flame, you’re burning too much tobacco all at once and basically getting the same experience as reaching the bottom of a big bowl.

Also, another thing small pipes are less forgiving about is puffing cadence, they will smoke hot quickly if you puff too hard or too frequently. They’re best for sipping strong blends that would put you on your ass in a bigger bowl, or when you don’t have time to nurse a long-burning bowl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Small pipes like others smoke cooler if they have slightly/somewhat thicker bowl walls. They can give average length smokes with flake/coin/plug or rope cuts. If you sip rather than puff, that always helps. They work well for short smokes with regular cuts, sampling when you want to try several blends like at a pipe show, or for strong blends to get their measure. Like many, I thought of small pipes as toy or souvenir pipes, but the late great fish'n'banjo put me onto them, and I found them fine, actually necessary for certain uses. (Good title!)

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I think cadence is a big thing for me. I do like to puff. ? I’m with you in general on bowl size preference but have a few pipes in the collection that are small/thin wall. Some are family hand-me-downs that I would like to use. I also have a couple of small Dunhill I picked up in a lot. They don’t have much value bc the stems are chewed through near the button and the bowls aren’t in the best shape. Plus this guy apparently loved silver bands so he had them put on every pipe. I would like to clean them up and see how they fare. I think a combo of what you guys said about packing and cadence plus using stronger tobaccos would help.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a definitely small (maybe Group 2) Chacom blast yacht with fairly thin walls, but I love the looks of the pipe, its compactness, and its design, and If I get exuberant and the bowl heats up, I just hold it by the stem and sip until it cools a bit. With this pipe, it is worth it. Pipes have quirks and personalities, like people, dogs, or cats, and it usually pays to learn their ways. This is a little old factory pipe, but it looks like someone's individual design to me.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I only like small pipes with thicker walls. A good squat bowl prince, about 3/4" bowl diameter, is one of my favorite shapes.

I love pipes like that too! The Briarworks OR05 chubby tomatoes in my collection tick those boxes nicely. Extremely thick walls, 0.8” chamber diameter with a chamber depth just under an inch tall, and they handle a careless cadence remarkably well when paired with light-and-forget codger blends.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a couple of group 3 sized pipes that smoke fine as both have fairly thick walls. I rarely smoke them as I have the time to smoke my 4's,5's and 6's. Even my 3's have an inside depth of about 1.4 inches and a .75 inside bowl width. I only have one pipe that is around 1.25 inside bowl depth but it has a .82 inside bowl width so it smokes pretty good for a smaller pipe. It is a Abe Herbaugh Rhodesian and smokes fine.

I don't own any 1's or 2's and see no need.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Most pipes I smoke have smaller bowls as they are similar in size to a clay pipe. Since everything I smoke is self prepared from plug I have found the stuff burns a lot slower. The use of Philt Pads seems to reduce the steam that some people complain about and I really don't puff aggressively so stuff doesn't heat up. As a 'wet' smoker I find I only experience tongue burn if I dry the tobacco out which only happens if I misjudge my bowl fills by cutting up too much.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Most pipes I smoke have smaller bowls as they are similar in size to a clay pipe. Since everything I smoke is self prepared from plug I have found the stuff burns a lot slower. The use of Philt Pads seems to reduce the steam that some people complain about and I really don't puff aggressively so stuff doesn't heat up. As a 'wet' smoker I find I only experience tongue burn if I dry the tobacco out which only happens if I misjudge my bowl fills by cutting up too much.
I don't know if Philt Pads would fit in my clay pipes!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I have a few small ones, maybe half a dozen. Definitely need a different technique & cadence than group 4+. I don't have too much trouble shifting gears usually, although occasionally I will forget what I have in my hand & quickly get reminded! "Ooo Ow Ow, hothothot!!!" I've gotten a few blisters over the years that gave me a, er, "good lesson"!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Any prince should do nicely. Or an apple with a chamber ≤ 35 mm in depth. Apples, with their bally shape should have walls thick enough to keep them from getting hot. My Vauen Basic is never uncomfortable to hold and I smoke hot and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.