PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
We had to know this was coming, but it's bad news nonetheless. The resort where the Chicago Pipe Show has been held is laying off 75% of its workforce and appears to only be honoring reservations made through February of 2020.

Link to News Article

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's some local reporting. There's a backstory they aren't telling, about shifts in the patterns of meetings and the groups they catered to, etc. etc. Selling off the golf course is like closing the bar, tells you that the tent is folding. This may be another case where holding meetings online for much less expense is diminishing the conference business all around. I believe St. Charles is where Bob Woodward, the journalist of Watergate fame, grew up. My people are from the general area, my mom's folks from Sandwich, Ill., named after the town in England.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm no longer in the area but grew up there. If Pheasant Run does not have the staff to sustain the pipe show, and organizers are still looking, I'd recommend the community of Rosemont near the O'Hare airport, at least to price it out. The pluses are that it is near the airport and the train, from the airport to Rosemont, and downtown for side trips. The area has vast numbers of hotel rooms, and I can't believe some are not discounted to sustain bookings. People flying in would not have to rent cars. Rosemont has a nice little park with a large pond, swans, and walking trails, for a modest getaway. It's in town, near the city, and on transportation, air and rail. Spouses could take the train downtown and enjoy a day in the city, the Art Institute, the nearby major city park, and other attractions.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Thanks for chiming in winton. I hope you are all able to figure something out. If there's anything the hive can do to help, plus let us know.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Local newspaper story for anyone interested in reading it.

Daily Herald 11/15/19
Big changes at Pheasant Run? Resort to lay off 75% of its staff amid plans to restructure.

Pheasant Run management anticipates reducing its staff by more than 75% amid plans to restructure operations at the iconic St. Charles resort.

The impending layoffs are a result of an ongoing assessment by Pheasant Run owners, who decided to scale back operations in the offseason while "pursuing various options for the future of the resort," said Jerome Cataldo, president of the Schaumburg-based Hostmark Hospitality Group that manages the property. How exactly the 56-year-old resort could be developed has not been determined, Cataldo said Friday. But he confirmed there are no plans to shut down operations at this time, despite widespread rumors of the facility's closure.

Roughly 150 of the resort's 190 employees, including on-call staff members, are expected to be laid off by mid-January, said Christine Andrews, Hostmark's vice president of people and culture. Separation notices have started being delivered, per the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act.

Pheasant Run will continue honoring existing reservations by groups and guests through the end of February, she said.

St. Charles officials were notified of the restructuring plans in a letter from Hostmark dated Tuesday, Mayor Ray Rogina said. The city has always maintained a strong relationship with the resort, which helped put St. Charles on the map as a Chicago-area vacation spot, he said.

"Pheasant Run is a very iconic business here in our community," Rogina said. "The city stands ready to work with any developer on any or all parts of the property.” Edward McArdle founded the resort in 1963 after purchasing the land, a dairy farm at the time, from renowned St. Charles resident Col. Edward Baker. For years, the resort continued expanding, with the tower constructed in the late 1970s and the convention center built in 1986.

But business struggled during the economic downturn, and the property fell into foreclosure in 2011. The site was purchased in 2014 by Saint Charles Resort LLC, and Hostmark was hired to manage it.

The future of Pheasant Run was brought into question again about two years later, when the DuPage Airport Authority filed a condemnation lawsuit to block a residential development proposed for the resort's golf course. A portion of the site was eventually acquired by the airport in a settlement.

With specific restructuring plans still unknown, Cataldo said it's difficult to predict whether new or former workers will be hired as business picks up.

"It is certainly quite feasible," he said. "That is all dependent upon how the plan ultimately turns out."

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Smoking is a major issue. Illinois law makes inside smoking in public areas essentially impossible, and public opinion sometimes comes in and goes further than the law requires. A show of any kind is one challenge; a show with smoking is another.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Smoking at the show is in a tent so I don't think that is the problem. The bigger problems are finding a facility with a convention center that offers affordable accommodations. The problem with Pheasant Run, as I see it, is the facility is long overdue for a multi million dollar overhaul.

There's some sharp business men in the Chicago Pipe Club. If it can be done, those guys will find a way to work something out. I sure hope so, I've enjoyed attending the show immensely.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
As an International visitor, travelling to the US solely to attend the show...I've already reserved accommodation for Pheasants Run, and pre paid to attend the Pipe making course pre show.... this has me concerned.
Hopefully clarity on the matter is achieved soon so I can lock in flights etc....

Reactions: cortezattic

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

Reactions: Ted Vig

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Very sad to see Pheasant Run's condition last time I was there, both the staff and the buildings.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
It's too bad to see a situation that had been working for so long break down (at least beyond 2020), but Pheasant Run is pretty run down. I really like the Rosemont idea; that area and the businesses are on the rise.

Or, we could just move it a few hundred miles north to Traverse City, MI!

Wishful thinking, eh? Well, the Chicagoans flood the region up here every summer ... puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.