PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I recently purchased a most unusual Meerschaum pipe generously commissioned by a supporter of the Chicago Pipe Show, who donated it for the auction. I know his name, but am not sure if he'd want me to share it. I'm sure that some of you who it is. He's a huge fan of Sadik Yanik and has commissioned dozens of his pipes. This pipe is essentially about a pound of raw, unshaped Meerschaum with a CPCC logo on one side and a portion of a bowl at the top. It isn't completely white, with natural mineral deposits of greenish blue and rusty brown in places. Seeing it, it's clear how it came to be named the German word meaning sea foam. It's a conversation piece. Few would describe it a beautiful or handsome, but it has its charms. Many club members were surprised to see me load the bowl with HH Acadian Perique and light it up, due to its enormity. Well...
It's an amazing smoke. The mass of cool absorbent Meerschaum delivers fantastically cool and flavorful smoke. It would be virtually impossible to burn your tongue smoking this pipe, as the smoke feels like room temperature. I taste flavors from Virginia tobaccos that I've not noticed before. Fruity flavors are especially noticeable. It's remarkable.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Sounds interesting. I have a huge block pipe as well, and like yours, it is a smoking machine. They are hard to hold and not practical, but super fun to smoke.
And ... Pictures or it didn't happen.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
This is my biggest Meerschaum so far. It's a Lighthouse by Arkdoula and the top of the lighthouse serves as a wind cap.

jduGcZ2.jpg

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I must admit that I am finding the same thing myself with my meer. It's become my go to.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I actually just broke down a tried a meer for the very first time. I have always tasted tobacco in clays, but boy do they get hot. It effects the smoke eventually. I was astounded at the pure tobacco flavor from meer, and the coolness, at least perceived, of the smoke. Of note, I handed my wife the pipe to try for a moment, and her first response was that she's never had smoke seem so cool. Huh, guess I waited to long to dip my toe in meerschaums.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I chose not to post a photo initially because my point was about the effects of smoking in a Meerschaum pipe with lots of mass, irrespective of the appearance.
So, with no further adieu, the pipe. Please, remember that this was a gift to the piping community, so be respectful. It’s a memento and conversation piece that happens to be a damned great smoker.
IMG_20180623_215406-X3.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
mikethompson, the color you see is natural. I believe they are deposits from minerals around the Meerschaum when it was mined.
Another note is that the backside looks somewhat different, as this clump appears to be something akin to plateau on a briar burl,so it's been sliced off.

Jan 8, 2013
It's certainly a great addition to any collection. Not sure I'd smoke it often, but it certainly seems like one I'd pick up on occasion because of it's smoking properties. Good for when sitting down to enjoy a book or movie. And certainly a conversation piece. Enjoy the heck out of it :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.