PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I just finished up this pipe this evening and thought I'd share the article with you:

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/big-ben-freehand-re-stemmed-and-reborn/

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Really gorgeous work, Greg, and I mean it. You are an artist at restoration.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I skimmed through it and I'm Just book marking it by posting so I can read it in full later. But the finished product looks fantastic great job. Will read it all tomorrow when I'm not in bed falling asleep lol.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never owned a Big Ben, but I would expect Dutch pipes to be crafted with great care. The Dutch

(to stereotype and generalize) love precision and design. This one really gives back the intense

attention and care you put into reviving it; looks better than the original, very fine indeed.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thank you all for the kind words. It was a big project and took a lot of words to document it, the longest article I've written this far.
I am not "the" reborn pipes guy, but a contributor, as is Al. Steve it "the" guy and writes most of the content on the blog. Nevertheless, I'm glad to hear that the collective "we" have inspired you to give your hand a try at the art of restoration, tarak.
Bradley, I packed about 3/4 bowl last night of BlackHouse in her for the inaugural smoke and she did great: nothing but ash in the bottom of the bowl and the smoke was nice and cool. I think I'm going to like this "odd" addition to my collection! And thank you for the comments on the article, too! :puffy:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I've never owned a Big Ben, but I would expect Dutch pipes to be crafted with great care. The Dutch

(to stereotype and generalize) love precision and design. This one really gives back the intense

attention and care you put into reviving it; looks better than the original, very fine indeed.

The drilling is spot on and other than the two fills the stummel is nice; I obviously can't speak to the original stem! On last weeks PM Radio Show Brian said he had re-launched the Big-Ben line (they bankrupted a few years ago)so there are new ones to be had and I'm sure some on the estate market, too. I my short experience with this one I would say they are good smokers (second bowl almost gone and its going along dry, cool, and to the bottom) and have some eye-appeal as well!

I just read the entry this morning, interesting tale and great job!

Thanks, Al. It is definitely an interesting pipe with its backstory IMHO.

Wonderful work. It's great to see a pipe receive proper treatment and start a new life.

Thank you. I think bringing old things back to life is such a joy. And making an old pipe a beautiful and enjoyable thing again is a wonderful (and addictive) hobby!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Every pipe I restore, I always wonder about the "backstory" to it. Lately, with some of the tales I've been hearing, I think it's just best not to think about it. Clean it, give it a new life, and move on.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Wonderful work, as usual, Greg!
Thanks for documenting and posting the details for us. It really helps us newbies to restoration to learn how folks like you, Steve and Al tackle issues we commonly find in pipes.
Cheers!
-- Pat

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Super restoration, Greg. Enjoyed reading the details of your work.
--boudreaux

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Greg, you really do great work and have taught me so much. I've looked at the site many, many times. Thanks for sharing all the wonderful and informative tips and stories.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Greg, excellent restoration. And what a story behind that pipe. The Major and his wife. Who would have thought it would end this way? Truth stranger than fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.