PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I'm agnostic, but believe knowledge of the Bible is essential to understanding history. I just got a Bible App for the iPhone that is excellent. It has options for a ton of translations (I use the NAS) and you can also have it read aloud the text. It's done very well. The App is called Bible and done by Lifechurch.tv.
Maybe I should look for a Koran, too. -- So I just downloaded Quran Explorer, by Noble Education Foundation. It seems to be a good choice according to reviews. I know nothing about this book. I work daily with a young Muslim woman from Ethiopia.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
If I remember right it was something to do with being in conflict with the seven day theory. And yes Warren it is a Hijack but I just couldn't help myself.

dude

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2015
Minnesota,
I went to Catholic school for 13 years. I decided I was agnostic, too.
It is way too much work to have faith.

Mar 1, 2014
An interesting subject indeed.

It doesn't really matter what your views on the subject are, the origins of western society are tied pretty heavily to that book.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I was catholic, then I discovered Hermeticism. I no longer need faith. Maxx you are right there is knowledge there. It's better to read the Torah, Koran, etc. under with knowledge of the language. Find copies that have been transliterated by someone with knowledge of the original language. For instance it's challenging knowing the New Testament is written in Greek and scattered throughout with Greek thought when the Authors of the gospels were Jewish.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
By the way, Im not going to delve into a long drawn out debate on religion here...I was just throwing out a suggestion. Take it or leave it.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I barely know how to dial and take pictures with my phone. Not sure how many Bibles we have in our house and on Kindle, bible software etc.
But I find it harder to believe everything happened by accident than to believe in a creator. Too many prayers answered.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
qSjjAk5m.jpg

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I'm sure there are some very good books that compare and contrast all the major world religions.
How come the dinosaurs aren't mentioned in the bible?
How come mosquitos aren't mentioned in the Bible? Maybe they aren't relevant to the story being told in the book.

jjm1

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2014

How come mosquitos aren't mentioned in the Bible? Maybe they aren't relevant to the story being told in the book.

jjm1

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2014

How come mosquitos aren't mentioned in the Bible? Maybe they aren't relevant to the story being told in the book.- This is a good answer. The authors of the Bible had a specific purpose for writing as do you and I, and the chief theme of the Bible that runs throughout is God being glorified, or honored if you like, and this accomplished through chiefly restoring a broken relationship (redeeming) between he and his creation. I would add though, how do you know dinosaurs are not mentioned? I would suggest that there is something spectacularly different about the behemoth and leviathan described in Job 40:15-41:34.
As far as Bible apps, I use Logos often but actually for a free program that is good would instead recommend MySword.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
1. The bible app is very cool. But for me it seems super buggy/slow so I hardly use it. I prefer a paper book any day over the digitals though, I suppose. I like to feel their weight and smell their history. Not very different from pipes. But it does seem to be the best bible app on the market right now.
2. Only Matthew and John were Jewish. Mark and Luke were not.
3. Dinosaurs are in fact supposed by scholars to have been mentioned several times in the bible. Primarily the book of Job. There is mention of the behemoth with a tail the size of the cedars of Lebanon. Also the leviathan which could have been a salt water croc or one of the great flippered Dino's.

Oops the Dino's were already mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.