PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Just sharing my experience to help others:

I posted a WTB/WTT for McClelland Tudor Castle.

I received a PM pointing me to a guy who had it for sale. I corresponded with him via email at rodgerworker@gmail.com.

Once the payment was sent to @nicole_bri3 via Venmo, I was told a tracking number would be sent to me. Never came. 20 days of emails later, no response. The original poster on this site who PMd me deleted the PM thread.

Not asking for anything, just want to warn others.

phdaemon

Lurker
May 31, 2022
You should report the guy that sent the PM. People like that shouldn't be allowed to be part of this community. There is a trust system here and when you have some people taking advantage, it undermines the whole thing.

Please put the person that sent that email on blast.

thanks.

Edit: Also, I recommend you don't use venmo for any people you don't know. At least with paypal, even using F&F you can pay with a credit card which gives you some protection. 2 cents.

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
You should report the guy that sent the PM. People like that shouldn't be allowed to be part of this community. There is a trust system here and when you have some people taking advantage, it undermines the whole thing.

Please put the person that sent that email on blast.

thanks.

Edit: Also, I recommend you don't use venmo for any people you don't know. At least with paypal, even using F&F you can pay with a credit card which gives you some protection. 2 cents.
Noted, and thought of before. It wasn't a tremendous amount of money. Usually people here can be trusted, obviously this is the exception.

The guy who PM'D deleted the thread, as I posted, so I can't see his name anymore. The guy who I corresponded with via email was listed in the original post.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Just sharing my experience to help others:

I posted a WTB/WTT for McClelland Tudor Castle.

I received a PM pointing me to a guy who had it for sale. I corresponded with him via email at rodgerworker@gmail.com.

Once the payment was sent to @nicole_bri3 via Venmo, I was told a tracking number would be sent to me. Never came. 20 days of emails later, no response. The original poster on this site who PMd me deleted the PM thread.

Not asking for anything, just want to warn others.
You can file a dispute with the credit card company you used on PayPal. I don't know if a PayPal dispute would work with FF, though worth a try, at least alerts them to the other party.

Do report the member who PM'd you to the administrators. You could list them publicly if you want, to let others know and give the PM'er a chance at a public response.

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
You can file a dispute with the credit card company you used on PayPal. I don't know if a PayPal dispute would work with FF, though worth a try, at least alerts them to the other party.

Do report the member who PM'd you to the administrators. You could list them publicly if you want, to let others know and give the PM'er a chance at a public response.
It was via Venmo FF. I can't see who the person was that PM'd me once it was deleted.

Reactions: mingc

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I literally have thousands of thousands of PMs...
You're just saying that to give me an inferiority complex for having so few. :cry:
rotf

But in all seriousness...to the OP, that totally sucks. If you can figure out who it was, definitely report 'em to the mods. Weird that they would just do a hit-and-run for such a small amount, but it's unacceptable in any case. Hope you can get some modicum of justice.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Some other pipe forums have reported this exact same approach. ‘I know a guy who has what you’re looking for ‘ msg that ends in theft

Reactions: mingc and romaso

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I posted a WTB that I think is still up and got a PM from someone. He or she had either 0 or 1 post so I ignored and deleted the message. I now wish I hadn't. I wonder if all WTBs get such solicitations.

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I don't understand why people do a 'hit and run' for such small amounts. It seems silly but what do I know!
The farmers over here say something along the line of: "Many a mickle makes a muckle".
A scammed buck here and there, those weak and desperate people live for that and their only value is whatever monetary value they can generate within a month.
They have nothing else to them and even my sad, empty glass couldn't be more shallow.
I don't understand them either and I don't really want to. Must be very sad indeed.

Reactions: mingc

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bummer. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I don't have to be alert for crooks. Aboard a Navy ship, I knew a chain smoker who never ever bought his own cigarettes. He needed to be continually on the take ... maybe his mother didn't love him. Foruntately, I didn't smoke at the time, so I could enjoy the drama of his compulsive panhandling. I suspect him of some other acquisitions more in the theft category. Emotionally perhaps the cigarettes and other items were "gifts" from his shipmates.

• Wow
Reactions: greeneyes and mingc
Status
Not open for further replies.