PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Thanks to the knowledge gained through members of this forum, my pipe smoking abilities have improved tremendously. Whereas previously, I couldn't "taste" VaPers, I have been really enjoying them, but packing lighter, drying the tobacco more, and sipping while slowing down my cadence. So, here's my issue:

Yesterday, I really enjoyed a bowl of Watch City's Old Dominion--crumbled up, let dry for 30 minutes or so, it was delicious--sweet, smoky, everything I'd want in a VaPer.

So much so, that when I finished the bowl, I felt that I needed something else. I switched pipes, and loaded up GL Pease's Stratford, which I have also enjoyed previously. And yet, I can't say that I got the depth of flavor out of it that I normally do. It just tasted kind of ashy, and I'm sure it was due to user error.

I wanted to ask the brethren here what they do in between pipes--do you cleanse your palate in some way in between bowls? Do you stay with the same tobacco, or do you plan your smokes in order, from more delicate to stronger flavors?

Thanks for your suggestions and wisdom!

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Like @BROBS I order my smoking day by strength of flavor - or at least genre and rarely experience carryover unless I’ve fatigued my palate by smoking too fast or starting with a really strong blend.

Reactions: Bowie

JLD66

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2020
West Kentucky
I usually smoke one bowl after another all day and almost always a different tobacco each time. I do however either have coffee or tea to drink while I smoke. Works for me.