PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
Old Joe Krantz has become my favorite tobacco, but because it’s so dry I always get a short smoke. Although I use my largest pipes, it’s still pretty short, even if I puff slowly.

I need recommendations for inexpensive, good smokers with a high-capacity bowl, and also any other advice people can offer on technique/prep/etc. Should I add moisture?
I should mention that I’ve switched from tinned to bulk, but they seem to be the same.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I smoke OJK almost daily, and I’ve never really noticed it being overly dry or a faster smoke. I bring a baggie of it when I go fishing on my boat, it’s a great outdoor blend. I like a cob, mostly because I won’t be too upset if I drop a cob in the lake (they float. I know this). It’s also nice because I don’t find the flavor to go bad or sour, or bitey if I’m out in the wind and the embers get hot. Love me some OJK.

Try blowing *slowly* through the stem while holding a finger or two over the loaded bowl, this will add some moisture from your breath and maybe slow things down a touch.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
What pipe are you using?
At first I was using a small MM hardwood, but it burned fast. I switched to a Rossi with a pretty good sized bowl, but not much better. I just now am trying out one of the cobs with a deeper bowl, and that seems better. I’ll try the tips suggested - trying to add a little moisture with my breath. Good idea!!

At first I was using a small MM hardwood, but it burned fast. I switched to a Rossi with a pretty good sized bowl, but not much better. I just now am trying out one of the cobs with a deeper bowl, and that seems better. I’ll try the tips suggested - trying to add a little moisture with my breath. Good idea!!
A burley that is only as lightly adulterated with casings and C&D has done with this one needs just a tad of breath into the bowl to slow the burn rate. I do this all the time with my own burleys. Its a balance between moisture and burn rate. Add a casing, and you’ve ruined the flavor. Add more water and you risk mold. I think C&D burleys are packed perfectly for my tastes. I just know to blow into the chamber before I fire it up.

When my wife sees me put my mouth on the chamber to do this, every time she says, “Baby, your smoking the wrong end again.”
And, I go, “Ooo Lucy, you so ridiculous.”
puffy

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
A burley that is only as lightly adulterated with casings and C&D has done with this one needs just a tad of breath into the bowl to slow the burn rate. I do this all the time with my own burleys. Its a balance between moisture and burn rate. Add a casing, and you’ve ruined the flavor. Add more water and you risk mold. I think C&D burleys are packed perfectly for my tastes. I just know to blow into the chamber before I fire it up.

When my wife sees me put my mouth on the chamber to do this, every time she says, “Baby, your smoking the wrong end again.”
And, I go, “Ooo Lucy, you so ridiculous.”
puffy
Do you splain it to her? ?

Cool idea, I’ll try this method too!

I’ve found one thing is that I wasn’t packing it tightly enough. Correcting that helped a lot!

Ordered another pound from P&C today using my one-year anniversary 10% discount; saved a little over $4 on shipping. ??

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I think the fast burn has alot to do with the type of cut. Pegasus and Telegraph Hill have a similar cut and burn pretty fast as well. I pack it a little tighter than normal to compensate.

Mar 1, 2014
Old Joe Krantz has become my favorite tobacco, but because it’s so dry I always get a short smoke. Although I use my largest pipes, it’s still pretty short, even if I puff slowly.

I need recommendations for inexpensive, good smokers with a high-capacity bowl, and also any other advice people can offer on technique/prep/etc. Should I add moisture?
I should mention that I’ve switched from tinned to bulk, but they seem to be the same.
Get one of these: Smokingpipes.com Search - https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/main-search.cfm?string=topper&category_id=99

A bowl on one of those should last about as long as a (short) Cigar.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I am smoking through an 8 oz tin from probably around 15 years in age and the cut was broader then on all the components. I am getting a lot longer smoke on it. The current version (which I have smoked probably 10 lbs of) is a lot finer of a cut on all the components. I have never found it too dry in bulk...if anything I let it dry a bit. If you do have it dry you can pack it tight. I use a Savinelli 315 for it and it is my only pipe for that blend.

I will add that aged OJK has a sweetness in the smoke that is a fantastic change up. I will be posting some pics in the "What are you smoking" thread before I inhale all of it in short fashion. If all I had to smoke was OJK I would be elated.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't consider OJK dry compared to Semois or Five Brothers, but for those I like a MM freehand with a decidedly deep bowl (the General might do as well), or a La Rocca poker with a good deep bowl. The Tsuge stack (on SP) might also work well. You could hydrate OJK, but I prefer my tobacco pretty dry and I suspect OJK smokes better that way, for me anyway.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
If your dead set on a bigger bowl size I'll recommend the Savinelli's ex's along with Danimalia. The only time I pull one of those out is when I barbeque for 2 or more hours.

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I am smoking through an 8 oz tin from probably around 15 years in age and the cut was broader then on all the components. I am getting a lot longer smoke on it. The current version (which I have smoked probably 10 lbs of) is a lot finer of a cut on all the components. I have never found it too dry in bulk...if anything I let it dry a bit. If you do have it dry you can pack it tight. I use a Savinelli 315 for it and it is my only pipe for that blend.

I will add that aged OJK has a sweetness in the smoke that is a fantastic change up. I will be posting some pics in the "What are you smoking" thread before I inhale all of it in short fashion. If all I had to smoke was OJK I would be elated.
Interesting that the aged stuff has some sweetness. Fresh, OJK is like anti-sweet to my tastes :LOL: I have noticed that many C&D bulk blends have a fine cut than they used to, which I generally prefer, but I guess that does cause them to burn a bit quicker.

Reactions: JOHN72 and 3rdguy