Best Way to Remove Broken Stem in Shank?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was gifted an older Barling with part of the stem broken off inside the shank. What is the best way to go about removing it?

I've tried putting a screw in there and pulling, but it's stuck in there quite well.

Any help appreciated ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was gifted an older Barling with part of the stem broken off inside the shank. What is the best way to go about removing it?

I've tried putting a screw in there and pulling, but it's stuck in there quite well.

Any help appreciated ?
Did you attempt to soak the mortise with alcohol for 15 - 20 minutes before trying to remove the tenon? Could be stuck to a bunch of hardened crap. Dissolving said crap may loosen the tenon enough for you to rotate it out.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I've used a variable speed Dremel tool with a cutting bit. You have to be careful and go slow, but it works great.
That's how I did it, too, but with a drill bit. I turned it just enough so the drill got a good bite, then slowly pulled the broken piece out. Took all of 30 seconds.

I should add that it was a cheap basket pipe, so I wasn't too scared of nicking anything.

Is there enough left sticking out to grab with pliers?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Caution: anthing that "grabs by compression" as opposed to material removal (screw vs. tap) can split the shank from the outward pressure.

The truly right way to do it requires a special tool:

Funny, I’ve actually done that before…

I have a small slide hammer that I bought years ago in an archery shop that was meant for pulling broadheads out of trees.

Had a pipe that fell from a shirt pocket and snapped. The shank was rather thin, and it did cross my mind that if I just ran a drywall screw in there it could damage the shank…

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
Caution: anthing that "grabs by compression" as opposed to material removal (screw vs. tap) can split the shank from the outward pressure.

The truly right way to do it requires a special tool:

That's the same arm motion as that which should be used to hammer home a nail.