PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
If I wanted to give a good thorough cleaning to my pipes, what do b you recommend? Would it be insane to use a vinegar or something on a pope cleaner or paper towel?

Cleaning my pipes good isn't my strength...

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
I use a gentle warm water flush and alcohol dipped pipe cleaners and paper towels, just be careful of the stain as alcohol may remove it if it gets on the outside of your pipe.

If you are chasing ghosts there's also the salt or damp coffe grounds methods.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Soap and water or toothpaste with a bristle cleaner. I often leave the stem soaking in lemon juice overnight, especially Perspex ones.
I had a small clear acrylic Captain Morgan mug that came with a bottle of rum that somewhat ironically crazed, cracked across the bottom, and eventually turned completely milky white on the bottom from contact with alcohol.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
What is there to clean once the bowl has been caked over? I would think a deep clean would just remove that build up which is supposed to be beneficial to the briar.

But stems can always be cleaned gently with plain soap and water.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Gecko

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
What is there to clean once the bowl has been caked over? I would think a deep clean would just remove that build up which is supposed to be beneficial to the briar.

The cake is a myth... or at least so I've been told ?

Many here don't believe in building cake.
I keep the cake in my pipes to a minimum by wiping the bowl with paper towel after every smoke.
If your pipe has gone a bit sour it may help giving the bowl/inside of the stummel a warm water flush or wipedown with alcohol to restore it to good smoking condition again.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

But stems can always be cleaned gently with plain soap and water.
Always keep the stem, mortise and draft clean. I once had to take a drill bit to a draft hole on an estate as it had become clogged with cake.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
The cake is a myth... or at least so I've been told ?

Many here don't believe in building cake.
I keep the cake in my pipes to a minimum by wiping the bowl with paper towel after every smoke.
If your pipe has gone a bit sour it may help giving the bowl/inside of the stummel a warm water flush or wipedown with alcohol to restore it to good smoking condition again.

Interesting. I'm tempted to clean the cake from one of my daily pipes to see how it smokes.

But most of my pipes came pre-charred so I'll have to find a way to clean only the cake off so I don't gouge into the raw briar.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Order some chlorine dioxide in either tablet or liquid system form - you can use it on EVERYTHING it Kills EVERYTHING cleans and Deodorizes EVERYTHING and most importantly it is Gentle as it is very different than plain chlorine bleach. Everyone should have some in homes - even non-smokers. amazing stuff - you can use it as mouthwash in diluted form as it is an ingredient in some brands

Reactions: Wellington

CAlabama

Lurker
Sep 8, 2020
Alabaster, Alabama
Order some chlorine dioxide in either tablet or liquid system form - you can use it on EVERYTHING it Kills EVERYTHING cleans and Deodorizes EVERYTHING and most importantly it is Gentle as it is very different than plain chlorine bleach. Everyone should have some in homes - even non-smokers. amazing stuff - you can use it as mouthwash in diluted form as it is an ingredient in some brands

Have you tried this to clean oxidized vulcanite stems?

Status
Not open for further replies.