PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

James84

Lurker
Nov 19, 2020
Washington
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Best way to age tobacco... leave it in the tin or jar it? ?????☠

Last edited by a moderator:

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Depends on the blend. Many blends, leave in the tin. However, some tin designs have been prone to failure (especially the rectangular ones), and some blends prone to mold in the past. I haven't had direct experiences with either, but many on this forum have, and there is nothing like aging a tin for a few years only to find it full of mold.

Other, more experienced forum members could probably speak more specifically and directly to the question, but that is just what I've learned from hanging around here a while.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
Leave it in the vacuum-sealed tin. If you are worried about the tin compromising you could put the sealed tin inside of a Mylar bag. If you buy in bulk, transfer it to mason/ball jars or Mylar bags. If you put anything into Mylar make sure to heat seal it as well.

Others will chime in and help out as well. Happy aging!

Reactions: chopper and James84
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think having mold introduced when the tobacco is packaged has a lot more to do with it developing later vs how it is stored. For the most part, I store my tinned tobacco in the original tin. I take some and place the tins in large 5 gallon mylar bags for 10 year plus storage. There's always a chance of introducing mold spores by handling it when transferring to jars. I don't see the need to take that risk.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Ha, I was just wondering about this topic. I have both currently. I don't buy as much tinned as bulk and mostly put the bulk in Mason jars.

Some bulk blends I leave in the plastic bags like BCA and Creme brulee that's goopy. I do wonder if I should jar the ones in the bags?

Cotton1

Reactions: James84 and jpmcwjr
Aging tobacco is a snap. If you don't have one of these, then you just have to wait for it, suckers!! Ha ha! puffy
Steampunk Portable Time Machine Backpack | Steampunk machines, Steampunk,  Steampunk wallpaper

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
I leave it in the tin. I have quite a few blends in tins older than 1990. For the bags , I put it in a jar, so air is unable to enter.

• Love
Reactions: James84

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I leave it in the tin, unless it's in rectangular tins. I've had issues with those rusting and popping open after a few years. Some even sooner. I bought some Samuel Gawith tins the last time those came available, and a couple of those popped open just from me handling them. So if I do purchase anything in those types of tins, they go right in a jar now.

Reactions: James84 and jpmcwjr

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’d leave it in the tin. In 2014 I purchase a bunch of Klondike Gold and I took 15 tins and jarred them, 3 tins per jar. The other tins I placed on a shelf.

The tins are fine 6 years later. The jars are fine six years later. I know 6 years isn’t much, but I’ve seen zero difference between the two.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
"Leave it in the tin" is the standard wisdom as was preached by GL Pease until a couple of years ago, when he changed his mind about that, based on what had happened with tin failures in his cellar. Keep in mind that he's a long term cellarer which most here are not. He now recommends jarring immediately and aging in jars.

It really depends on what kind of tins you're referring to and how long you intend to store them before opening. The small square and rectangular tins are not intended for decades long storage, and a high percentage of them will crap out. The circular tins do better and may go for decades since the seal pressure is distributed around the circumference, and some some canister type tins hold up pretty well. Food grade, heavy duty Mylar bags or glass jars are better for really long term cellaring.

Regardless of what you do, some of your holdings are going to go bad.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I have never had a rectangular come loose on me but I did buy a Dunhill tin a few years back from Iwan Ries, round tin....lid was so loose a baby could have undone it. So 1 tin out of the 1400 or so I have.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Questions for you all on the subject:

1. If I don't open the tin it "should" be good until I do open it?

2. Once the tin is opened should it be jarred?

3. Once a jar that has been ageing for years and you open it does it continue to age when you seal it back or is there just a peak amount of time?I have heard 10-15 years on some tobaccos.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

James84

Lurker
Nov 19, 2020
Washington
Depends on the blend. Many blends, leave in the tin. However, some tin designs have been prone to failure (especially the rectangular ones), and some blends prone to mold in the past. I haven't had direct experiences with either, but many on this forum have, and there is nothing like aging a tin for a few years only to find it full of mold.

Other, more experienced forum members could probably speak more specifically and directly to the question, but that is just what I've learned from hanging around here a while.
Yikes. I think I heard something about like the cornel&diehl tins maybe let some air in..but not sure.

James84

Lurker
Nov 19, 2020
Washington
I leave it in the tin, unless it's in rectangular tins. I've had issues with those rusting and popping open after a few years. Some even sooner. I bought some Samuel Gawith tins the last time those came available, and a couple of those popped open just from me handling them. So if I do purchase anything in those types of tins, they go right in a jar now.
Oh wow. I will make sure and double check everything I order. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.