Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
My wife and kids got me a new pipe for Father's Day; a Peterson's Belgique. I have a couple of other small pipes ( one dedicated to Englishes and another to cigar blends). I wanted to dedicate this new small pipe to orientals, but wanted some advice first. Do orientals go well with small bowls, or is there something better? I know people use smaller pipes for flakes, but so many different blends come in flakes. I'm curious as to what flavors do best in small, group 1-style, pipes.
Thanks fellas!

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
I have a small bowl meet and a clay. I don't dedicate them to anything more than short smokes.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'd say rope, I tried some rum twist I got as a sample yesterday in a nice small bowl and it was quite enjoyable.
Smaller pipes that are tall and narrow are best for flakes because of the way it burns. English blends with latakia do better in wide bowls. Russ Oulette had mentioned that, I don't know the specific reasons, but I remember it has to do with the way it burns it brings out the flavors more. Plus flakes are very compact and compressed tobacco.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I like my smaller pipes and tend to smoke them with more regularity than I do my large pipes. For me it is a matter of time and comfort.
Time wise, smaller pipes work really well with my daily routine. Large pipes are reserved for occasions dedicated strictly to pipe smoking.
Comfort wise, I consider myself to be a smaller guy, so large pipes just look silly and are a pain to carry around. My small pipes on the other hand are much more convenient and easier to clench.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
When you guys say that you're using smaller bowls for flakes, are you rubbing the flakes out or just folding and stuffing? What is the logic behind it? Just a noob trying to understand.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Flakes and heavy Latakia or Perique laden blends, also if I want a strong smoke but not a long one I have several small pipes to choose for that, they are great for even short time short smokes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Belgique and love it. Along with other smaller pipes, Group 3 and down, it is really pretty versatile.

I'm not much haunted by ghosts, so I'm not quite as particular as some about one-tobacco-style use. I

think small pipes are great for first smoking really strong blends, to get a measure of the blend, so you can

decide how to smoke it, if it could go in a medium sized pipe, needs mixing with another tobacco, and so

forth. You can use it for short smokes, either for a short time slot, or as an appetizer or dessert for a different

blend in a bigger pipe. I find flake and cube both have robust flavors that carry well in a small pipe, and seem

to smoke longer than loose tobaccos, so I can get an almost medium-size-pipe smoke, in terms of time, from

this little Belgique. As I have said before, for decades I thought really small pipes were toys, novelties, or

souvenirs. Oh, so wrong. You really need one or two. Along with a jumbo pipe or two, you'll use them

regularly. They're just right. Nice with Va/Pers too. I'm not so much for English blends in the really small

pipes, or extra complex loose blends, but most other tobaccos work fine.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Thanks for all the advice, guys! Here is a link I found that discusses the "flake pipe."
http://www.naspc.org/Archives/flake.htm

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks guys! I have a Pete 31 I was about to pass on as I just couldn't get on with the small bowl, but I followed the reasoning above and it is a superb flake pipe. Problem solved!
Andy

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
My Belgique just came in and I must say I am shocked at tiny small this pipe is. It's funny to think something so small could be this intimidating. Don't get me wrong, I'm anxious to try it out. But what can it do? I'll let y'all know how it goes...
Here's a link to the actual pipe I got:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=149075

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'll have to try some flakes in my smaller pipes. I'm still breaking in the Tsuge blowfish (tiny bowl), and I've been using the smaller Pony Express/Missou cobs for lunchtime lunting, which they're perfect for - a bowl lasts just about 2 miles perfectly.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you really want a cigar blend, go with a rope, I've been smoking some G&H rum twist and man that is like a cigar. Perfect for a small bowl as I can't imagine smoking a large bowl of it.

Smallest pipe I have right now
Nording-Unknown.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
That is a wonderful looking pipe.
Fill it with a strong tobacco and smoke it real slow. I'm thinking Peterson's University Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.