PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Smoked two bowls this weekend, both were free of tongue bite, required relatively few relights, and burned to the bottom of the bowl. One was an aromatic out of a cob the other was Frog Morton Cellar out of a Savinelli Bing favorite with no filter. I've made two changes based on some youtube videos. 1) Didn't do the three pinch pack, with progressive pressure. Just took a big wad of tobacco and dropped it in, and then tamped down with intermediate pressure; 2) used the breathe method -- breathed in and out through my nose with about 15% sipping to bring the smoke in and then blow back through the pipe, with an exhale of smoke on alternating "sips". Also made sure the tobacco wasn't too wet.
Is the three pinch method generally used? It didn't seem to work well for me. And do people not like the breathe method for some reason -- seems like it works extremely well.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Sounds like your getting the hang of it! I still get some roughness in my mouth from time to time, simply because I don't think much about what I'm doing. But I believe that has helped on my methods. Don't think too hard about it, and you will have many more pleasurable smokes down the road.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As long as you're enjoying your smokes, what else matters? Personally. I don't do any of that stuff, nor do I worry about "the bottom of the bowl", which is one of those pipe smoking myths that's bad for the pipe. I just dry my tobacco to the optimal moisture level for maximum flavor, pack it properly and enjoy a good smoke. Worked that way for 47 years.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
What Sable said. Part of liking pipe smoking enough to hang around a forum dedicated to it is being a little obsessive over the details, but I think most pipe smokers get a little less precise over time.
I used to worry about things like cadence and packing techniques. Nowadays, I just throw some dry tobacco in a pipe and stick it in my mouth (I guess a loose version of breath smoking). It's maximum enjoyment for minimal effort for me.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
As long as you're enjoying your smokes, what else matters? Personally. I don't do any of that stuff, nor do I worry about "the bottom of the bowl", which is one of those pipe smoking myths that's bad for the pipe. I just dry my tobacco to the optimal moisture level for maximum flavor, pack it properly and enjoy a good

smoke
Exactly. The concern over the number of relights, to me, is nonsense. Just relight it if it goes out.
It always amazes me how complicated newbies make this.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I grew up with a pipe smoker, Dad, who smoked only Granger in a pouch and shoveled the tobacco into the pipe bowl with his thumb. I've tried more complex rituals, one or the other for a while, but simplicity is often best. You can always do more elaborate prep for flake/coin/plug/rope, and observe procedures for mixing various leaf or blends, for variety or a change of pace. But on a Tuesday evening, when maybe you're a bit fatigued, no need to complicate things. Go for pleasure.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Whether you use three steps, one big fill or a fold and stuff, the key is to check your draw before you light up. I prefer a little resistance, not too loose. Others want a looser fill as that works better for them. Figure out which you prefer and go with it.
There are times where I will stuff a whole flake into a bowl and then check the draw to find out it is totally plugged. I will pull the tobacco out and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.