PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CD15

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2020
Louisville, KY
Anyone who has done any home blending have any recommendations on their preferred retailer to purchase from? Quality and selection are more important than price. Just looking to mess around with it. Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been happy mostly with C&D, simply because I can get most condiments at reasonable prices in bulk from one place, but you can certainly go upscale and buy in tins. If you are on a budget at all, you could get a couple condiment tobaccos at a time. Though not the first leaf you might think of, I use some unflavored black Cavendish, cigar leaf, and dark-fired from time to time, along with the overused Latakia and Perique. There are others. I find an ounce at time is fine for my purposes. Since you have to jar mixing tobacco anyway, bulk seems like a logical choice.

Reactions: CD15

CD15

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2020
Louisville, KY
Thanks for the recommendation. I had been looking at P&C’s house stuff. Just remembered that Smokingpipes has C&D bulk on sale, so that’s perfect. I think I will opt for bulk over tins. And I will definitely experiment with those leaves.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I recommend looking at Sutliff bulks too. The J4 burley is good both as a blender and a straight smoke. They also have a perique and a Red VA but I have not tried those two. Price is same or less than C&D even with the sale. I enjoy all of the Sutliff bulk blends I've purchased.

CD15

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2020
Louisville, KY
Cool. Would add some further enjoyment to the process to make the same experimental blend with each brand. Compare/contrast ??

Reactions: Bowie

jhand45

Lurker
Apr 6, 2020
Is that something you have some experience with? Would love to learn more about it

Yes. Whole leaf tobacco sells a variety of virginias, latakia, burley etc. They come very dry so there's a bit of a knack to working with them but the results can be very good. They have a forum called fair trade tobacco which is very good if you want to learn more about working with whole leaf.

CD15

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2020
Louisville, KY
Yes. Whole leaf tobacco sells a variety of virginias, latakia, burley etc. They come very dry so there's a bit of a knack to working with them but the results can be very good. They have a forum called fair trade tobacco which is very good if you want to learn more about working with whole leaf.

I think someone mentioned that to me at some point. I need to look into that. I also had someone send me free seeds awhile back. Going to try my hand at a little planting this year. Thanks!

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Figures. I made a ridiculously large purchase a month ago. Wish I would have picked some up then. Thanks for the heads up
The reason for the suggestion is that I think many of the blending tobaccos we have available here just aren't very good (try smoking them on their own). I think somehow people believe that combining mediocre tobaccos results in some form of alchemy where they become 'more than the sum' of the ingredients. I think beginning with the best raw materials possible will help improve the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.