PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
So, I live in a big old seaside house that was converted to 6 smaller condos. I don't think smoking is actually prohibited and my neighbors are pretty easy-going, but still, in the winter I'm not always that keen to go out on the deck in the evening, and I don't want to have the smell of my pipe permeating the whole house.
This is probably a dumb question, but for folks who just want a 10 minute smoke, what works best? I see that Missouri Meerschaum offers a mini corn cob pipe. Is a smaller pipe like that a better option, or is there any downside to just putting less tobacco in a regular pipe?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I was unable to crack this particular nut with a pipe. I wound up switching to small cigars for short smokes. The members here had a lot of suggestions for good-quality small stogies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No problem with a partial load whatsoever in my experience. Also I have no problem with any odor leaving the bowl half smoked. Wife doesn't complain, either. YMMV.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Short smokes are important in the colder months. I don't think the pipe size matters much per se. But the tobacco blend does matter. For me there are two schools of thought for a quick smoke. 1)Ribbon cut + a medium sized bowl (it's hard to pack ribbon in a small bowl for an efficient smoke), or 2)Flakes + a small bowl. For me the latter works best. I smoke mainly flakes anyway, and most of my pipes are on the smaller size spectrum. For a 10-15 smoke in winter, 1/2 or even 3/4 a flake will work great and provide a good experience with punch in a small amount of time. I'm sure others will have additional advice and I would like to see what else works as well.

Just smoke your pipe for ten minutes and then set it down or pack smaller bowls. I have found that smaller pipes can smoke for just as long as my other pipes. But, all in all, with the way smoke from pipe smoking has to absorb into my smaller blood vessels over a longer period of smoking... I just wouldn't smoke if I was limited to ten minutes. You'd probably be more happy trying another method of nicotine delivery. Ten minutes wouldn't even whet my apatite.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
SmokingPipes.com has a Pipe Locator that allows bowl diameter & depth search criteria.

I find MM cob capacities to be pretty small, and a good choice for outdoor (windy) environments.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-pipe-locator.cfm

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's my take, which is probably subjective. First, for short smokes where you finish the bowl, loose tobacco works best, burns fast enough either in a small pipe or just a partial bowl. Flake/coin/plug/rope all smoke longer, so aren't as good for this purpose. However, for those of us who find no problem (in taste) with smoking a bowl over two days, that works fine. Smoke intermittently over two days or even three. For me, sometimes the next day drying improves the taste.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"You'd probably be more happy trying another method of nicotine delivery. Ten minutes wouldn't even whet my apatite."
My thoughts exactly.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I pack smaller bowls for quicker smokes but 10 minutes is too short for me. Why not let your pipe go out and relight when you come back later. I've done that by necessity and it seems to work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I love a big, long lingering pipe bowl of tobacco, but that doesn't preclude short smokes in a pipe. I'd prefer a short smoke in a pipe to a small cigar.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
A kiseru and kizami, but that is hard to get outside of Japan. A Kaywoodie Campus. Or just smoke for ten minutes and set the bowl down. I don't know what answer you are looking for, but you will have to decide for yourself.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I mostly agree with Cosmic. The medium sized cobs have a fairly small capacity. Load one up, smoke however long you have, sit it down, smoke it again later. Works especially well with Virginia blends.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I find MM cob capacities to be pretty small, and a good choice for outdoor (windy) environments.

My dog still needs his walk, no matter the weather conditions, so loading a small cob with something stout for a 20 minute walk around the block works pretty good.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
How about the "wad and stuff" also known as the "cannonball" method of packing? I do it all the time when I want a short smoke. I just roll up a little ball of tobacco and drop it in the pipe. Ribbon cuts work great for this. The wad burns well and doesn't need to fill the bowl so it works great for short smokes. Sometimes I'll put a little pinch of tobacco in the bowl first to give the wad a platform to sit on.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
It depends on your smoking style I would say. If you do not mind smoking a bit of a bowl and setting it down after whatever time hack you chose, that is easiest. If your style does not like to relight and smoke more later, then A. Load less tobacco to meet your needs or B. Get a smaller pipe.
Smallest I have ever seen was a gag gift from a girl I knew, a tiny, tiny skull meerschaum. I tried it, it smoked ok, but I believe most people do not smoke tobacco out of them. Smallest, shortest smoking pipe I have ever seen. I no longer remember how to post pics so I cannot show you the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.