PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I bought six pounds of this in anticipation of a tax increase, at $16.99 a pound, about $100.

During the day I smoke candy flavored aromatics and of evening I smoke everything, including some English blends. I opened one package, and tubbed it in a big zip lock container, the other five went in a desk drawer.

This is advertised as being what remains each day from filling orders for bulk English tobaccos. It looks wonderful, it’s the right humidity to pack well, and it smells like catfish bait to me, like all other Latakia rich English blends do.

I filled a little Pipe Maker Canadian with this, and fired it up.

Oh my, this is delicious.

There is ample Latakia, I can taste perique, and citrus notes from Virginias. This is an all day English blend, of medium strength. I love it.

But with God as my witness, neither me nor my folks will ever go without English tobacco again! .:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As the old saying goes, fortune favors the bold. I've always figured that too many blends dumped in together just gets muddy and harsh. Either it turns out this is a dependable way to get a pleasing pipe blend, or you just got hell-awful lucky.

Reactions: JOHN72

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
As the old saying goes, fortune favors the bold. I've always figured that too many blends dumped in together just gets muddy and harsh. Either it turns out this is a dependable way to get a pleasing pipe blend, or you just got hell-awful lucky.
I had an old friend named Jack who was an manufacturer and inventor and a raconteur. He made and spent and regained several fortunes. And died in his sleep when he was nearly 90.

Once upon a time when Jack had a new wife and was between enterprises, he said he happened on an aluminum boat factory that advertised they wanted a manager.

The factory made small fishing boats of various lengths, and they were stacked up unsold all around the building.

The first thing Jack did, was dispatch a minion to mark all the unsold boat as

FACTORY SECOND

He had big signs put up along the Highway advertising FACTORY SECOND boats, too.

He sold out of boats very quickly. After awhile he started his own company making fiberglass bass boats, which is another story.

I suspect there’s some of that marking a valid product as odds and ends going on with Best of the Rest English.

If it were a match blend, it would be Frog Morton match, minus the rum.

How much waste could there be, I packaging tobaccos?

I’d guess not a pound a day.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I've never purchased that blend from P&C because I make my own through the year. It is either fantastic or terrible or mediocre but it is always different.
As I understand English blends, there are not any flavorings or toppings.

And from what I read there is only one source of Cyprus Latakia and all Perique comes from St. James Parish.

If this incredibly delicious, good looking blend is table sweepings, from English bulk blends, it’s going to be a good dose of Latakia with a smattering of Perique, plus some amount of Virginia tobacco and maybe a little Turkish and a bit of burley. There won’t be one atom of Plum Pudding or Spark Plug other tinned Lat bombs in it.

It’s going to taste approximately like their most popular English blends.

I still think, this may be a way to market tobacco to cheapskates like me, though.

gemtx

Might Stick Around
Dec 20, 2020
Dallas, TX
I am also a new Best of the Rest fan. I purchased both the aromatic and English and found each to be amazingly uniform - like it appears to be all the same blend. I expected so much worse, but what I got were quality tobaccos. I ordered a bunch more because of the price point and quality. I can't smoke all I ordered, so it looks like I'm aging BOTR! Go figure. Best to all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's actually sounds tempting, if I didn't have about ten years of tobacco (at my leisurely pace) already. I might go for a pound.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Cigars international is running a 21% off everything site wide sale. It currently shows Best of the rest English and aromatic in stock for those of you looking.