PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
During the sales for IPSD I picked up a couple Missouri Meerschaum Generals just for fun.

I've never smoked a pipe with a bowl that deep & wondered about the best lighter to use for such a deep bowl..

I generally use butane soft flame lighters or Zippos. I have this longstanding dislike for the sulphur odor from matches. I would be extremely hesitant to use a butane torch to light my tobaccos.

Thought I'd check to see what others prefer to bring flame to tobacco as the bowl smokes down...

Reactions: JOHN72

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
I can't find the post - so I can't credit whoever suggested it, but I'm 100% converted to hemp wick.

It's wax covered hemp twine that you use as a spill. You can shape it to fit inside the bowl, so it's way less likely to damage the rim. Doesn't flavour the tobacco - & it's really cheap too!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Hah! I was thinking of suggesting hemp wick too! :LOL:

I don't use it—too much of a hassle to be lighting a lighter—but I did get a ball at one time and tried it when I was starting out with pipe smoking. It's certainly an alternative, if you really want to stick a flame in that deep bowl.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Toast

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Hah! I was thinking of suggesting hemp wick too! :LOL:

I don't use it—too much of a hassle to be lighting a lighter—but I did get a ball at one time and tried it when I was starting out with pipe smoking. It's certainly an alternative, if you really want to stick a flame in that deep bowl.
It definitely isn't the Head & Shoulders solution!

I get really annoyed by the faff of refilling lighters or of running through a gazillion matches, so it works for me.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You should be able to hold the flame into the bowl with a staff pull. You don't need to nor should you apply flame directly to the tobacco. Same hold true for a cigar. You don't torch the end of the cigar. I see people light that way and get a chuckle. You light the cigar from the heart of the flame.

With that really deep bowl, you might try dumping some ash when you are more than 1/2 way through the bowl.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I can't find the post - so I can't credit whoever suggested it, but I'm 100% converted to hemp wick.

It's wax covered hemp twine that you use as a spill. You can shape it to fit inside the bowl, so it's way less likely to damage the rim. Doesn't flavour the tobacco - & it's really cheap too!]

+1. Coupled with a the Flickwick holder which let you light and operate with wick with one hand, it has become my lighter of choice. In addition of being the most versatile in flame positioning, It burns at the lowest temperature even of matches and, if you use the 2 mm tick wick, it is the most resisting to wind which is very useful outdoor.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I recommend the IM Corona Pipemaster if you can find one, they seem to be coming hard to find. It has a nice long tamper, good size fuel tank and you can turn that bitch up that will burn the bottom of your bowl if you are curious about the veracity of my claim. I have 8 of these lighters and I have tried almost every pipe lighter on the market and for money and performance there is none better. Show us which one you picked out. I for got they run from 99.00 on sale to hundreds with some fancy crap all over the lighter, I stick to the basics.

Status
Not open for further replies.