PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
There's quite a few aerobatic Englishes that can take you to new heights. The Sopwith Camel comes to mind. But I suppose we could drone on about Englishes awhile.

Now if you mean aromatic, then I recommend Lane HGL. I have some Sutliff 504C Aromatic English on the way to me. It gets good reviews, but I haven't tried it yet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The genre called English pipe tobacco got its name when UK regulated against adding flavorings to tobaccos, hence it means tobacco with no flavorings. So any English-like blend with added flavorings would just be aromatic, not English. So if you start jumbling the terms, the discussion becomes meaningless. Not being critical, just trying to keep the vocabulary straight so we don't all start talking past each other. Aerobatic means stunt flying an airplane, making loops, rolls, and low passes, and so far as I know is not a pipe smoking term.

The genre called English pipe tobacco got its name when UK regulated against adding flavorings to tobaccos
But, I have the most issue with this, because if so, how did the Lakeland's district tobacco productions continue with such laws in place. I mean, things like tonka beans, Valerian root, and rose geranium oils are what I think of when I think of "English" tobaccos. I know we call Latakias that also, but it doesn't make sense to me.

I think it was also explained that some very bad stuff was being added before the laws, like cooking oils and rubber. So, the purity laws were meant to just restrict the tobaccos to perfume scented blends and just plain tobacco flavored tobaccos.

Reactions: rushx9

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
The genre called English pipe tobacco got its name when UK regulated against adding flavorings to tobaccos, hence it means tobacco with no flavorings. So any English-like blend with added flavorings would just be aromatic, not English. So if you start jumbling the terms, the discussion becomes meaningless. Not being critical, just trying to keep the vocabulary straight so we don't all start talking past each other. Aerobatic means stunt flying an airplane, making loops, rolls, and low passes, and so far as I know is not a pipe smoking term.
tobacco might fall out on the loops ;)

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
They just posted a review on SPC Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrell-Aged and that might be worth a look. Sillem's Commodore Flake has a unique topping that strikes me as fruity, but it works much better than it sounds. Haven't had McConnell's Latakia Flake but I've read it's similar to the Commodore and seems to be easier to find in stock.

GLP Sextant is pretty cool, too. And of course, Black Frigate.

I wouldn't classify any of these as true aromatics. Just Latakia blends with a bit of added flavoring, but I think they'd be what you're looking for.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
sms-autocorrect_resize_md.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.