PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've only tried a couple, and one of them was generously gifted to me by a forum member. And that one is Cumberland, which is a truly a wonderful and unique tobacco. I enjoy it in small amounts, and you might like it too.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I'm going to recommend one that I actually don't like that much: Maltese Falcon. It's a fine blend with some latakia in it, but something about the combination of Virginias and orientals in it make it pretty sweet. I hate sweet latakia blends. But they are definitely an easier bridge away from aromatics than the more austere blends like Charing Cross or Gaslight.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Cumberland, Escudo and Dark Flake form my holiest triumvirate. I have a number of favorite latakia blends, Crown Achievement, Nightcap, Quiet Nights, and Gaslight among them. Pease blends are widely regarded to be high quality tobacco with great flavor and complexity. Gaslight isn't as complex as Cumberland, but my feeling is that it was meant to be latakia forward though it is superbly spiced by the oriental.
I don't think you can wrong buying the type of blend that you wish to smoke from Pease.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks Dr. Hoss for clarifying my over-generalizations.
Even though I've smoked a pipe since 1988, I'm pretty much of a nicotine wimp. I'm in total agreement with you about GL Pease blends being not too terribly nicotine heavy (again, in general).
JJ

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
All things being equal, my favorite is still Samarra. Based on some the above, I'm going to have to get some Jack Knife (plug and RR because plugs are a giant pain to me) and some Maltice Falcon!
Mike S.

Mar 1, 2014
Right now I'm going to say Gaslight. My tastes favour the bold and uncomplicated, Gaslight is exactly one thing and I love it. I could blend an equivalent using bulk tobacco (throwing lots of Latakia at a good base tobacco isn't hard), but Pease has already done the legwork so I just don't see the point in mixing my own.

My runner up would be Fillmore, but I feel like you can find better examples of that category elsewhere.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I'm not convinced that a Latakia forward would be a bad choice for Walrus' first G.L. Pease - as it will be completely different from anything he has smoked previously.
The first two English/Latakias that came my way were two Dunhills: London Mixture and 965. I remember opening both tins and thinking "People really smoke this stuff?" And my first couple smokes of both tobaccos were awful.
Then a tin of Frogmorton's Cellar arrived, and within a few days it became a favorite. And the Dunhills? They started to smell better and better - both in the tin and smoked. The Dunhills are downright tame compared with some of the stronger tobaccos I've been smoking recently.
Gaslight is near perfection in my opinion. And JackKinife is sublime. I suspect that G.L. Pease tobaccos will end up the staple of my growing cellar.
So I would recommend that Walrus try something that isn't cased - something perhaps Latakia forward.
And Walrus, if you do, remember that it may have to grow on you, as it did with me. Tobaccos I didn't like the first month I smoked are now among my favorites.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I recall the first glass of Laphroaig I had. I hated it. The next day, I was craving another glass. I think latakia can be like that. Still, I would recommend starting with something ribbon-cut over a plug, just for ease. And I would also recommend starting with something medium, like Samarra, Maltese Falcon, or Meridian, versus the lighter fare of Piccadilly or Chelsea Morning, or something heavier like Abingdon, Gaslight, or Odyssey.

Reactions: drayve85
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Jack Knife Plug was good but to strong for me. Haddo's Delight I didn't care for at all. Lombard and Picadilly were nothing special. Maltese Falcon is very good, and Gaslight is in my Top 5 Favorite tobacco's.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's hard to go wrong with GLP blends. Jackknife is most often recommended so I want to try

it, but I was completely impressed with Triple Play, being a burley fan. I can go slow with tins,

but not that one. I just looked around and it was gone, and I was still smiling. What Pease does,

more than most, is tune those nuances. He gets the right tobaccos together, but then he tunes

the proportions with such care, and he gets it in the right cut, or in this case, a plug. You really

taste and experience the care and knowhow. Don't want to get gushy here, but I have to give the

man credit. He has to be working incredibly hard at doing this. I often try a blend and say, hey,

that's good. But with a GLP blend, it's like attending a good Broadway play, like Bravo.

Jokes apart, what strength tobacco do you prefer? Mild, Strong, Very Strong? Depending on that you can choose a few from GLP's offerings. I would recommend Maltese Falcon, Westminster, Gaslight, Haddo's Delight, Key Largo, Barbary Coast to start with and then sample the collection slowly. GLP's blends require some aging to them (1 year) but theres no harm trying the fresh tins as they also have some age on them and then get some cellared tins from the members here who usually sell stuff on ebay and directly.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
smoked some esoterica dorchester a while back but cant get any - just tried union square seems similar to dorchester - i guess it is the virginia process i am tasting - liked both very much.

union square was mentioned above - did you find any others blends similar to union square or dorchester ? each blend description & composition suggest they are quite similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.