PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sunriseboy

What are equivalent Flakes compared to Gawith Hoggarth Bulk: BRIGHT CR FLAKE. Over at TRs, it gets a great wrap - but I just tried to order some at 4noggins but am informed it is out of stock there. I live in Oz and Rich is the only one who ships to Oz. Well, CupOJoes does also, but their stocks are perilously low, I really don't get what's happening there. Every third or fourth item is Out of Stock there.
So, gentlemen, I would be grateful for your collective sage experience.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I enjoy 1792 Flake, though I'm not familiar with Bright CR, I also love all of the PS Flakes, especially Luxury Bullseye Flake

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
How about Solani Silver 660.

Or Capstan Yellow
If you want bulk I don't think you can go wrong with any of the McClellands broken flakes.
Also I haven't tried yet McClelland's Dark Star. I've got a tin on the way.

"McClelland's Dark Star begins as Bright Yellow, sugary top grade Virginia and Carolina leaf. Through careful triple aging, pressing and stoving, it becomes rich, cool and dark with a spicy aroma."

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
4 noggins carries Reiner Long Golden Flake which is very tasty! They also have all the Peter Stokkebye's flakes in bulk; LTF, LBF, and LNF are all great smokes.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I like the Solani 660 and PS flakes. I am myself more of a straight virginia though, I love FVF Dunhil Flake and Brigham Klondike Gold.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Irish Flake is amazing.
But I think Gawith Brown Flake Unscented will suit your tastes.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
IMHO, McClelland makes the best Virginia Flakes. I rub out flakes anyway so the perfectly formed flakes out there hold no sway with me. I favor #27 and #24 but 2020 is a grat flake, avilable in bulk.
Mike S.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
For bulk Flaked tobacco, PS LNF is as good as I've seen.

For tinned flake? Rattray's Marlin Flake, so far, is the flake I've had the most consistently delightful bowlfuls.

There are LOTS of worthy candidates in the tinned category.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Irish Flake would kill me but Mc Barens Old Dark Fired not,theres so many great flakes out there, and when it comes to shipping to Australia, the smokingpipes.com /Ups super saver shipping method is the way to go, though it keeps to arrive, but cheap so far.

S

sunriseboy

Gents, thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
You should definitely try a few things from Gawith, their flakes are better than most that I have tried. Specifically Best Brown, Full Virginia, and St James Flakes. Preparation is key, they all need drying time and preferably aging.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
McClelland's Dark Star (and their Blackwoods) are highly overrated in my book...virtually tasteless. Treat yourself to some FVF if you can get it.

Did you let the tin breath for a minimum of 4 weeks after opening it? Blackwoods was tasteless to me when i first tried it, but then after about 2 weeks to a month of letting it breath the flavors really popped. It's a very tangy tobacco compared to FVF, but I do love FVF also. I just find if you don't let McClellends breath for a minimum 4 weeks, the longer the better it's a bland boring smoke.
Onto the OP's question have you had Bright CR flake before? It does have a soapy flavor, I think it's a great tobacco and one of my favorites, but if the thought of a flowery/soapy taste off putting SG FVF is pretty similar to Bright CR but sans soapy flavor.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Andy, my McClelland tins have been open for about four weeks, I just find them to be lacking in flavour. It is there but it is so mild that I'll not be purchasing it again. Their Dark Navy Flake is a little better but not much.
As for Bright CR Flake, I also find that to be far too mild for me.
Each to his own and all that :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

S

sunriseboy

Thanks again for all of the input guys. I do appreciate it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Kelloggs-Cinnamon-Frosted-Flakes-Cereal-Box-Front-Review.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.