Best Figural Meerschaum Carvers Taking Commissions?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Rossi Pipes
3 Fresh Becker Pipes
24 Fresh Nørding Pipes
9 Fresh Brebbia Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Brig

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2024
New England
I have a thing for antique carved figural meers, but alas it seems to be a fading artform. Even some of today's master carvers seem to struggle with carving good full-figured characters.

I am toying with the idea of commissioning a meer commemorating my time in Scandinavia with a scene of mythological figures, and I have searched around a bit and can't really find too much on commission carvers online. It's almost as if retail sellers are keeping them secret so they can double the prices on their websites.

Who are some good figural carvers out there actively taking commissions that you all would recommend?

Brig

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2024
New England
Can you be more specific in your ideas? I'm intrigued!

I suppose the complexity would really hinge on the artisanship or the carver, as well as the price.

I have a few ideas in my head. I spent nearly a year in Norway and have a soft spot for it, and since I can't imagine anyone carving Northern lights, I think some of the folklore could be a good nod to my time there.

I was thinking the main bowl could be a tree trunk, and it could be surrounded by some mythological creatures. A nisse (gnome) resting against it lazily smoking a pipe. A nøkk or troll peering over the edge of the bowl. A huldra on the other side with her tail wrapped around the back of the bowl, representing her trying to conceal it from those viewing her from the front.

Reactions: FLDRD and didimauw

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Of the current carvers who seem capable of producing really elaborate and/or intricately detailed carvings that are genuinely impressive, Yanik is the only one I'm aware of who has his own web site (on ebay). There may be others, but I haven't seen any.

The vast majority of new meers across the board seem to be run of the mill. Altinay does have shapes and styles that I don't see elsewhere, but not normally anything elaborate in the way of figurals.

IMO Yanik is exceptionally talented when it comes to elaborate carvings, but unfortunately his drilling is often off.

The pipe in my avatar is a Yanik and thankfully the drilling is perfect...it's hit and miss.

Yanik 1.jpg
Yanik 4.jpg

Reactions: Brig

Brig

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2024
New England
His drilling is what makes me hesitate, I'd like to enjoy smoking it.

I have a Yanik I bought on eBay that smokes well but, as you mention, I've read he is very hot or miss, even after decades of carving.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have no idea who the carver was, but I commissioned a Meer from Altinok almost 2 years ago to commemorate our trip to Ireland. The inspiration came from the ancient yew tree at Muckross Abbey and the Abbey itself. I submitted my own drawings and the body of the pipe was executed better than I imagined it would. I didn't get the color or material for the stem I requested (lol, it was all specified in writing and suddenly the pipe was done and shipped with no pics to confirm it was done as requested - I put that down to just being anxious to get it to me) and I later had that remedied by Doug Finlay who also addressed an issue with the draw. These pics are as received and it's still a treasure.

Image 2.jpegImage 1.jpegImage.jpeg

2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Good to hear there are some people like Gnomes.
That kind of detailed composition best could be represent by Ertugrul Cevher and Sadık Yanık.
With that much details they will need at least 4 fist size meerschaum and probably they will give you price around 600$-700$

Last edited:
Reactions: Brig

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
View attachment 338345View attachment 338346View attachment 338347View attachment 338348View attachment 338349View attachment 338350

Good to hear there are some people like Gnomes.
That kind of detailed composition best could be represent by Ertugrul Cevher and Sadık Yanık.
With that much details they will need at least 4 fist size meerschaum and probably they will give you price around 600$-700$
The OP is looking for a single pipe from what I can understand. Many pipes like that directly from the carver usually aren't anywhere near that expensive. All of these were under $300 and are huge.

Screenshot_20240924_074414_Gallery.jpgIMG_5075__70814.1574218458.jpeg.jpg
20200709_134322.jpg
168392-e27c6694a4472cfcd2d5e02dae8b3315.jpg20220920_024414.jpg

Reactions: metalheadycigarguy

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Slidell, LA
When I think of antique Meerschaums I always think of the beautiful pipes featured in Rapaport's "Collecting Antique Meerschaum" book. I've rarely see anything as complex and detailed as those carved long enough to be antiques.

I've often wondered if they were carved more to be presentation or display pieces than actually smoked. Or, if they were carved that big because the artisan was able to find a huge chunk of meerschaum. I have two that I considered "works of art" and while I have smoked both of them, mostly they just sit for my enjoyment.

The ship has Bolgi #1 carved on the side of the stummel. The Lighthouse is signed by Akdoula. I don't know who Bolgi is, but the Akdoula Brothers used to visit tobacco shops and do carving demonstrations. The Lighthouse originally sold at Bayou Tobacco in Baton Rouge (now closed) and when the buyer passed his family took the pipes back to Bayou Tobacco to be sold on consignment. I purchased it there about 8 years ago.

Ship_Lighthouse.jpg

Lighthouse_031019.jpg

The OP is looking for a single pipe from what I can understand. Many pipes like that directly from the carver usually aren't anywhere near that expensive. All of these were under $300 and are huge.

View attachment 338353View attachment 338360
View attachment 338361
View attachment 338362View attachment 338363
Those are by 1, and 1.5 fist size blocks.I also have smilars price range 225 to 300$

1.jpg1.jpg1.jpg1.jpg1.jpg

But what Brig demands could be from at least 3-4 fist size meerschaum.Bowl like tree and front of the bowl there will be gnome at edge of the bowl troll and huldra on other side.This much detail requires the meerschaum to be both wide and long.After the wet carving process is completed and the meerschaum is left to dry, some shrinkage will occur.With 1.5-2 fist size its not possible to give that much details.

Brig

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2024
New England
I have no idea who the carver was, but I commissioned a Meer from Altinok almost 2 years ago to commemorate our trip to Ireland. The inspiration came from the ancient yew tree at Muckross Abbey and the Abbey itself. I submitted my own drawings and the body of the pipe was executed better than I imagined it would. I didn't get the color or material for the stem I requested (lol, it was all specified in writing and suddenly the pipe was done and shipped with no pics to confirm it was done as requested - I put that down to just being anxious to get it to me) and I later had that remedied by Doug Finlay who also addressed an issue with the draw. These pics are as received and it's still a treasure.

View attachment 338341View attachment 338342View attachment 338343

I have contemplated doing one in this style, as well, as it would capture the northern lights in this type. However, I am looking for a more figural type for the a over design.

Brig

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2024
New England
When I think of antique Meerschaums I always think of the beautiful pipes featured in Rapaport's "Collecting Antique Meerschaum" book. I've rarely see anything as complex and detailed as those carved long enough to be antiques.

I've often wondered if they were carved more to be presentation or display pieces than actually smoked. Or, if they were carved that big because the artisan was able to find a huge chunk of meerschaum. I have two that I considered "works of art" and while I have smoked both of them, mostly they just sit for my enjoyment.

The ship has Bolgi #1 carved on the side of the stummel. The Lighthouse is signed by Akdoula. I don't know who Bolgi is, but the Akdoula Brothers used to visit tobacco shops and do carving demonstrations. The Lighthouse originally sold at Bayou Tobacco in Baton Rouge (now closed) and when the buyer passed his family took the pipes back to Bayou Tobacco to be sold on consignment. I purchased it there about 8 years ago.

This is exactly the style I would prefer, as seen in the book. I dabble in collecting those types of antique meers and you'd be surprised how small many of them actually are. The detail carvers were able to capture is fantastic. They're like 3" statues. Alas, that type of skill is on decline, and even the best carvers seem to carve their intricate works at a much larger scale.

I had the chance to buy a large castle bowl not too long ago on eBsy for $80 but while I was talking myself into it it sold. The buyer slapped a stem on it and listed it for $500, where it still sits.