PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
I am not too big on aromatics, but if there is one flavour I wish to try is a high quality coffee-flavoured blend. Have you tried one that you could recommend?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
The problem with aromatics is that they rarely taste like they smell. I have several coffee tobaccos. My recommendation is to take a mug with your pipe when you go out to smoke.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"The problem with aromatics is that they rarely taste like they smell."
A lot of people say that if you smoke them right, they do. I have not achieved that level of expertise yet; Winton's statement is what I experience pretty much every time. If you find a coffee aro that tastes like it smells, let me know. I'd love to get ahold of some.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The problem with aromatics is that they rarely taste like they smell.
I very much agree with what Shane Ireland said on a radio show episode a while back, if you cut your teeth on aromatics and then branch out to English/Balkan/VaPer/Va/Burley blends then come back to the aromatics it will be a completely different experience. Starting on the aromatics you learn better cadence to avoid tongue bite. Diving into the non-aromatics you then learn what the actual leaf tastes like. When you go back to the aromatics it's a completely different experience, because now you can pick out the nuttiness or cocoa of the Burley or the citrusy/grassy flavors of the Virginia in addition to the top dressing/casing that makes it an aromatic. No, the aromatic blend won't taste exactly how it smells in the tin/pouch/jar, but you will definitely get more depth from it.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I'd recommend Peretti's Coffee Blend. It's a delicious burley/cavendish blend where the topping adds to tasting the high quality underlying tobaccos. Generally speaking, Peretti's burleys are first rate.
I also like Sutliff's #203 Coffee but the coffee flavoring isn't as pronounced

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I have Peter Stokkebye Black Coffee and enjoy it. I've been wanting to try Peretti's Coffee Blend. I do have a tin of Vauen Espressotabak that I haven't gotten around to trying so that may be my next open tin.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
I will try these out, already have the Black Coffee one. It is an interesting point there, my issue with aromatics is the unnatural smell - it is nauseatingly synthetic, after smoking English tobaccos for a year you really notice the components. Coffee flavoured chewing gum is great, ditto for ice cream, but something about preservatives in tobacco that makes it taste odd and same for any flavour.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I'd recommend Peretti's Coffee Blend. It's a delicious burley/cavendish blend where the topping adds to tasting the high quality underlying tobaccos. Generally speaking, Peretti's burleys are first rate.
Great tobacco if you don't have to deal with the a-holes over

the phone!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Surly service always deserves the Gus McCrae treatment. I don't give a good God damn how good your tobacco is.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
It doesn't count as an aromatic, but many swear they can pick up notes of coffee in Wessex: Gold Brick Virginia Plug 100g.
I enjoy it a lot and have quite a bit in the cellar, but I personally can't pick up any coffee notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.