PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Hi all, need some updated recs from this great community. Bought my dad an estate Sav last year for his birthday with a tin. I've now trealized he likes cherry flavor and his birthday is coming up again. Please allow me to draw from your experience of hits and misses to get my dad something great. What's the best cherry out there money can buy?

Reactions: JOHN72

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I'm not a fan of cherry blends, but Sillem's Red (also goes by John Aylesbury Red) is one that rises above what makes the others offputting to me. It reminds me of cherry cream pie. Boswell's shows it in stock.

Reactions: dcicero

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I'm not a fan of cherry blends, but Sillem's Red (also goes by John Aylesbury Red) is one that rises above what makes the others offputting to me. It reminds me of cherry cream pie. Boswell's shows it in stock.
I do like Sillems black may have to grab 2 tins of this stuff.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Put me down for Cult BRM as well. I think the consensus speaks for itself. It's not too goopy, and it's got that little hint of vanilla in there that I find to be a nice touch. Every other cherry aromatic I've tried just seems to fall short. Bjarne Viking Eric the Red was mediocre at best. CAO Cherrybomb could be dried in the Sahara desert sun for a month and still be a sopping wet mess. And Capt. Black cherry...I'd prefer to forget what happened there. Suffice to say, it involved a lot of cursing, tears, and required several weeks of primal scream therapy afterward.

So yeah, I'd go with BRM. ?

Reactions: Sidehatch

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I vote NO on the Cult Blood Red Moon! I finally got a tin after the endless posts about how great it is and can't find anything nice to say about it. Clearly, YMMV!

Reactions: dcon
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'll echo that Cult Red Moon is good.

Smokers Pride Cherry is a surprisingly good Cavendish. I was impressed, especially for the price ($0.99 pouch on a clearance sale). It makes me want to try the Vanilla (although Paul's Pipe Shop has Arrowhead that is my favorite aromatic and 1-Q is a solid vanilla as well) and possibly Whiskey (since I was not a fan of the Borkum Riff version).

Even not on sale, it's fairly priced and punches above its weight class.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I've heard good things about Boswell's Cherry Smash, but, haven't tried it yet.
My least favorite. Literally made me sick. If I still have the remainder of the sample that came with my Boswell pipe then I'd be happy to send it to anybody willing to take the risk...