PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
There is such a large selection to choose from, it would help if you could let us know what kind of tobacco you enjoy. Do you prefer aromatic blends, straight virginian, virginian with perique, english styles (latakia), etc?
Also, welcome to the forums...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've purchased tobacco in bulk form from several 'houses', including Peter Stokkebye, Newminster, D&R, C&D, and McLelland's.

Each has its own special offerings and quality tobacco.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The man asks for help and you use it as an opportunity to bash a site sponsor. WTG.
Jnyder +1
A little more info on your tastes would be helpful, Charles.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No bashing, too many items damaged or wrong items sent. Other far more reliable sites sponsor this forum, and don't want any new interest in the hobby lost to poor service.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
C&D's bulks come quite dry. You can find any flavor you're looking for with that blending house.

I place large orders of bulk from them frequently, and a suggestion would have to be based on what types you like. If you just want the driest, you might check out some of the large bags of tobacco by Daughters Ryan. C&D would be a good suggestion also. But, all in all, it really depends on what you like to smoke.
FWIW, I have never had any botched orders or damaged goods, and I have ordered almost monthly for years now.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
I've found it curious that there are people that never get a botched order, or get one and get it fixed soon,

And there are people who get a dozen. There must be an interesting variable at play there.
What do you mean by dry though? As in brands that sell less water and more leaf?
That would be Daughters and Ryan first of all. Then there are some.

Shy away from Gawith, they are water dealers.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
In my experience, the Peter Stokkebye blends come ready-to-smoke; neither too dry nor too wet. And I dare say you will find one you like, since they have many offerings.

I've found it curious that there are people that never get a botched order, or get one and get it fixed soon,

And there are people who get a dozen. There must be an interesting variable at play there.

There is a phenomena within forums. Every company has mistakes. But, when a few people get botched orders or something or other and post about it, it makes a situation look grossly larger than it is. I'm sure that P&C have messed up orders over the years. Smokingpipes probably also. I have made mistakes myself. It's just a forum thing that when it gets posted and people start dogpiling the post, it grossly exaggerates the situation out of proportion. Maybe we should call it the forum rear-view mirror syndrome - things will look larger than they are.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Cosmic

I generally avoid calling things botched unless the company refuses to fix things free of charge.

And PipesandCigars always seem to do that.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
They are a great company to get bulk from. Your tastes, as has been said, would be helpful to guide you. Reading the reviews about baccy you like is can also be helpful.
And I've made a LOT of orders from P&C, not a single problem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
+1 ericu' ... Cornell & Diehl tends to ship bulk fairly dry. It's good to jar it right away to keep a little moisture in it. If you like burley, they are one of the master blenders of that, but they have some of many genres. Choose your own retailer.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I order from P&C with somewhat regularity and they have NEVER failed to fix an issue. I had a nice order of about 35 tins recently that had a few dented tins they replaced no questions asked and did not want back the dented tins. Ended up with 4 or 5 free tins. So why would I not want to order from them again? Is their packing suspect? Yes. Would that stop me from ordering from them? Hell no it wouldn't stop me.
As for the recommendations it's hard to say without knowing what you are looking for but if I were to make some blind recommendations based on personal taste I would say PS luxury twist flake and PS luxury bullseye flake. I would also recommend ALL of the McClelland flakes 2000, 2010, 2015, 2020, 2025, 2035, 5115.
Also H&H Anniversary Kake is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.