PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
I am looking for a more or less reliable pipe lighter, my only demands for it to be under 20$ and to work on butane.

No bics, no lighter fluid. Anybody have a suggestion?

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I have one of the IMCO pipe lighters, and that works great. I believe they're about as cheap as you get for a branded pipe lighter.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I bought these and their great for pipes and their refillable. 19 lighters will last me the rest of my days. I'm still using the first two lighters and I bought the 19 last summer.
https://www.amazon.com/Slide-1445-20-19-Lighters/dp/B016946BTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489273049&sr=8-1&keywords=slide+lighter

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
chasingembers

I did think of that but too many people claimed they are very unreliable.
aimlesswanderer

They do not seem to be particularly stocked up on those in USA
ray47

I'd like something less plastic.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Try these ... I have one and it works pretty well if you don't abuse it:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=euro+jet&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xeuro+jet+lighter.TRS0&_nkw=euro+jet+lighter&_sacat=0

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I've bought and used many lighters, and it's not possible to get anything long term reliable in your price range. Even in the $50 to over $100 range there are problems with some lighters, long term. Heavy use and "long term" can mean less than one to two years.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I hate to say this, but for cheapness and reliability, you cannot beat a BIC. Unlike their pens, these work. I was watching a TV show (Survivorman) where a guy was alone on an island looking for things along the shore to fish with or make fires with and he spotted a BIC lighter that had washed ashore from the ocean wedged between two rocks! Who can say how many weeks / months / years it had been sitting there.
Damn thing still lit.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
A few weeks back I went and bought several of the Old Boy/Dunhill Unique knock offs to trey out. Two are branded Mr. Brog, one is direct from China. I'm working on a review of them, but suffice it to say that you get what you pay for. The Colibri Old Boy is still hands-down the best of the genre.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
jackswilling:

I have been using one Clipper lighter for over 2 years, refilling as needed & only replacing the flint (with one scavenged from an old Bic).

It has a soft flame when upright or horizontal that doubles in size when tilted downward below horizontal, which I find very useful.

Cheap, reliable, refillable.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I want to recommend a lighter that a Forum member piqued my interest in. A Sarome lighter, got it on the Bay for 20$, Quality in a Japanese lighter but thru the years the Facility was moved to China but still possessed the Same Quality. I loved the lighter. One day couldn't find the lighter, looked, and looked. Went back to the Bay and negoiitated from 71$ to 50$ from a Seller in Germany. While waiting I put my old jacket on to smoke on the porch and lo and behold, it had slipped thru a hole in pocket to inside the jacket. Now I have 2, if you try Sarome you won't be disappointed.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Thanks for suggestions everyone.
cossackjack

jackswilling

There actually are metal made clipper lighters, and even pipe lighters among those.

I was considering giving those a shot myself, as I've been using plastic ones for a while.

Also, the bottom of a clipper makes a perfect tamper.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"There actually are metal made clipper lighters, and even pipe lighters among those.

I was considering giving those a shot myself, as I've been using plastic ones for a while.

Also, the bottom of a clipper makes a perfect tamper."

I read about using it as a tamper so what you say makes sense. I was looking at adding a couple few metal models. For a buck it appears they may be the best one buck option. More pipe friendly and refillable

ttakata73

Lurker
Jan 12, 2017
I just got this and it has potential. The flint can be replaced, takes butane, adjustable flame, and the smooth cap is for tamping. $11

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slim-Metal-Plating-Flint-Wheel-Gadget-Refillable-Butane-Gas-Cigarette-Lighter-/401124329117?hash=item5d64df869d:g:KKgAAOSwrnNXPs0~

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
The Clipper lighters came in and we have a winner.

Best $1 lighter I have had the pleasure to use. As noted in the thread, they are refillable, but I have not got there yet. The striker wheel is so much better, i.e. easier to use than the Bic.

Status
Not open for further replies.