PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
I wanted to get your thoughts and tastes on the above. The only Gawith blends I have tried are FVF and St James Flake. I like the FVF enough to start my cellar with it. I know these are not easy to find as they are pretty popular. So before I start to hunt, thought I would ask some folks that have smoked both and maybe could compare them as well to FVF. Thanks

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I've had both in addition to FVF over the years. I much prefer either to FVF, but I like sweeter pipe tobacco. I also think they're slightly lighter on the nicotine content than FVF, which while not strong, is noticeable.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think BBF is fabulous, even better than FVF. Golden Glow is good but not in the same league as those two imho. If you want a bright Virginia lead, I like F&T Golden Mixture better. And I find Wessex Gold Slice much better than either. If you're wanting to try some other Virginias, I highly recommend GLP Union Square and C&D Opening Night which are generally readily available. C&D Yorktown is a bargain ribbon cut. Ashton 109 is more often available and good.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Best brown is definitely better in my mind than FVF. Naturally sweeter and deeper, more complex flavor. Right behind Wessex campaign for a desert island blend.

Mar 29, 2016
BBF beats FVF in the taste department, fuller and slower burning for me. One of the best brown Virginia tobacco in the market.
GG is in another flavor register more tea/grass than the other two and also lighter, some would call it monochromatic. I do like it as a Summer smoke or as a mixer.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
From what I’ve read, all three are from the same leaf stock, difference is the length of time in the pressing & steaming. FVF is almost candy sweet, BBF adds a little more hay flavor & a bit less sweet. MVF/ Golden Glow is lighter, but the most mellow & least sweet, and a touch of citrus taste. I have all three cellars, & enjoy them equally, each suits a different taste bud. Hard to pick a favorite, but if I had to pick only one, it would be BBF.
Most of my cellar is 10 yrs old, stuffers tight in mason jars. Bought it when it was sold in 1lb boxes.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
For me, fresh Full Virginia Flake is nothing to write home about but aged FVF is the bees knees. I recommend holding on to your FVF for at least two years before you start smoking it, the darker the flake the better. FVF is one that gets extremely dark with age and the taste becomes sublime. I’ve still not tried Golden Glow but I have some aging in the cellar. Best Brown Flake is also stellar but I prefer FVF but totally worth cellaring both as they are very different. I wouldn’t shy away from St. James Flake either (if you like Perique) as it’s another top dog in my opinion, I actually like it better than BBF & FVF, it’s just freakin’ delicious but again, I prefer it with at least two years of age on it. It used to be that you could buy it from Smoking Pipes and it would already have a good year of age on it due to it sitting in their inventory, now everything that comes in is as fresh as it gets so I definitely suggest it goes straight to your cellar before smoking any but obviously it’s not necessary. The idea is to get a rotation of sorts so that you are always smoking the aged blend while letting your newer purchases ferment and just continue the cycle. Oh and if you can find Kendal Plug, it’s certainly worth the wait/hunt, it’s BBF in Plug form and it just tastes more rich and complex than its flake counterpart.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Golden Glow is a mild Virginia that is kind of a plain Jane. I only have half a dozen 2011 tins as it didn't impress me enough to cellar it deep. I have a lot of Best Brown and FVF and love them. Both age incredibly well and I wouldn't want to have to choose between them.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
When I first tried Golden Glow I thought it was insipid and compared to Best Brown and Full Virginia I suppose it is. However, when treated carefully it's a wonderfully subtle and sweet smoke. It's definitely the lightest of the Gawith Viginias. At least the ones I have tried. I really like it when the weather is hot and it will probably be one of three that I take on a trip to Italy in the summer.
Full Virginia, Best Brown, St James', Cabbie's Mixture and Golden Glow are all excellent in my opinion and all different enough to warrant their own places in anyone's cellar. I actually don't think any of them are that similar to one another. In my view, all are bloody lovely, though.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
Great insights, I appreciate everyone's opinions, I'll just search of those I haven't tried, try some and cellar some. Thank you

Reactions: Sandblast

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
+1 to Hawky454 recommendations on cellaring either of those two blends. I believe that both blends are good fresh, but aged they are some of the best virginias. I ultimately prefer BBF over FVF

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
Golden Glow for me was fine, nice summer smoke. One of those tins you buy for the Gawith name and then crack because the tin is square and you read too much on the forms. Get a few enjoyable smokes out of and then jar the rest up knowing that it will do with some age and hopefully get a little more presence to it. You kindly look forward to opening the jar, but more out of not knowing than any memorable qualities of those first smokes. You won't reach for it for a minute. That's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.