PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think of most English blends as having Virginia as the base and Latakia as the next largest proportion of tobacco, then add in any others like Perique, Turkish, etc. But how about blends with burley in them, whether as the largest component or not, and Latakia? What is your favorite? I think off hand I'd go with C&D Billy Budd, but I know there are quite a few out there. Burley and Latakia aren't always thought of in the same blend, but with or without Virginia with them, I think it can be a good partnership. What's your favorite burley and Lat blend? What do you think of the two in a blend?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've not tried too many tobaccos at this point, but I've quite enjoyed the Vintage Syrian, which has both.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jaytex', oh my gosh, Vintage Syrian, I have an unopened tin of that. A good chance I'll like it real well. Thanks for the reminder.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I like: Blend D-7485 from Peretti's... It was created for Ramsey MacDonald. He wanted an English with American flare.
from pipe tobacco reviews:
A masterpiece of the blender's art. A rich, spicy blend that lends itself to gracious living. A luxury tobacco which is cool and mild. Made originally for the late Hon. Ramsay MacDonald. A blend that lends itself to gracious living. D-7485 blends a number of tobaccos to provide a cool, mild smoke. It is considered by many to be a perfect "all day" smoke.
Notes: "Blend D-7485. On April 24th 1933, The Honorable Ramsey MacDonald, Prime Minister of Great Britain arrived at the L.J. Peretti Co. accompanied by Bennett, the premier of Canada and Edouard Herriot, the Prime Minister of France. Mr. MacDonald, who had heard of Peretti's reputation in the pipe tobacco world, requested a blend that bridged the English and American styles. After two months of experimentation, the blenders at Peretti created D-7485. This burley and Virginia mixture has depth, smoothness, and a touch of latakia spice. Mr. MacDonald continued to order 'his blend' for the rest of his days."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
mike, yes, to me Nat Sherman 536 is one of the most refined English blends, lots of subtle complexity and yet mild. I visited the store in Manhattan and was introduced to it sitting in a rocker in their lounge area, and was completely pleased.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
My favorite would probably be Morley's Best (Bob Runowski's take on Blue Boar). It has some bright VAs and Latakia, but no Orientals, and the burley really shines.
I also like Crowley's Best, which has only burley, Perique and Latakia (no Virginias at all, which is unusual). Pretty pungent stuff, but hits the spot sometimes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...have an unopened tin of Potlatch too ... this is like old home week ... on my future tobaccos. Thank you for the reminder on that one.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Patton's Dark and Stormy is an excellent Burley/Lat blend with some cigar leaf as well. The very nutty almost Carter Hall type burley is a sharp contrast to the smokey latakia and spicy cigar.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Peretti's Cuban counts I suppose? That one was good.
I myself dislike the combination in general, although, if Kentucky is considered Burley, Kentucky/Lat combinations are my absolute favorite. Blackhouse, Commodore Flake, Vintage Syrian and such.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I'm with pitchfork on Morley's Best. In fact I've been wanting some of late and must buy some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.