PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Hi, long time reader. Tried to find a thread about new releases (or even old stand by's) that would be good "bets" to age well. I am in process of accumulating a stache and would be interested in folks opinions.
Just bought for aging:
McC Christmas Cheer 2017 and 2016.

C&D Small batch Sansepolcro (new release)

Samuel Gawith Brown Sugar Flake

Drucquer & Sons Red Lion

HH Bold Kentucky
I'd love to hear other peoples opinions on what blends have the best chance to be GREAT in 5-10 years.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Sam Gawith St. James Flake is really, really good after about four years. I can't even imagine how amazing it'd be after ten!
The entire C&D Cellar Series is intended for looooong term aging, but I haven't tried any of them.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Been looking at the SG St James and the Full Va Flake. Thanks for that sugestion. It's on the list.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I seem to be one of the few who prefers his latakia with a few years on it, but general consensus seems to be anything Virginia as primary leaf grows finer with age. As was said, St James and also Full Virginia Flake are two top tier blends for aging. The difficult to obtain Stonehaven and I'm sorry, but Penzance gets amazing with a decade of age. I'm sure the we that we are will rattle of a never ending list of personal favs, but really, anything with Virgina. I'm curious to see how Russ's Magnum Opus and Black Knight age. Dunhill Flake, Royal Yacht, and Navy Rolls also great. Place a massive order from HU in Germany while you still can. You'll regret it if you don't.

Reactions: milehighpiper

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Rattle away, information is good.
I have 2 8 oz bags of Penzance and 2 8 oz bags of Margate that were bagged in 2010. Got lucky and picked them off of Cragslist a couple of years back. Check that one off the ol' list...

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Well, if we're rattling... McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro is in my top 5 smokes. I've had it at three years after tinning and it was magnificent. Has to be incredible after more time.
My Review:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/rabbits-newbie-reviews-mcclelland-dominican-glory

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I never know what folks mean by aging. I never consider age before 5 years or more. I can tell you this. I'm working my way through a tin of Blackwoods Flake that is 21 years old and it has been a joy. Really, most of the McClelland Brown and Black labels age very well. Those tins are great and the 100 gr. size cuts the cost a bit. Another fine Virginia is Old Gowrie. Fact is, most of the premium blends really benefit from 5-10 years IMHO.
Mike S.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Accumulating a stache lol, are you growing hair or cellaring tobacco?
Regardless of that, my MO has been to try as many blends as I possibly can and cellar what I really like. Time may be running short now, with the new regs. On my cellar list at this moment is:

SG FVF

Capstan Blue

Capstan Yellow

Escudo

Wessex BCDF

ODF

Aylesbury Luxury Flake

StoneHaven

McConnell Scottish cake
The other thing I have tried to do is acquire some aged tins of what I cellar so I can do a taste comparison, and see what I can expect in 10 years. I will be doing this with Escudo and Scottish cake in the near future as I recently acquired some aged tins of these.
As far as recent production/new blends, I'd recommend anything from GL Pease, as well as any of the newer Russ Oulette blends.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
You scored those off of Craigslist?! Wow, that's amazing!! I've had only one successful CL find, an 8ft Dunhill retail display case with glass sides and halogen spot lights. I paid $100 delivered. It's shocking, but occasionally you stumble on things.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
My impression from those who know what they're talking about is that, as has already been said, Virginia tobacco benefits a lot from aging, and Burley not so much. In the recent thread about Semois it was related that Manil himself said a couple years age is fine but after that it may loose flavor. I am surprised it would lose flavor if it's well sealed, but he be da Man so smoke it if ya got it. I recently acquired a 2009 tin of Westminster (thank you, Stan!) that I have been smoking and it is really really nice. Smoother and richer than the Westminster and London Mixture that I have smoked that was not as aged. My approach has been to stock up on the blends that I really like, mostly Virginia and English blends, as I want them to have some age on them by the time I get to them. Right now in my rotation is '09 Westminster, '10 Boston 1776, '11 Royal Vintage, '12 FVF, '13 Britt's Balkan, and '14 Three Friars (the baby of the bunch). They are all very nice! I have not had the opportunity to try anything with more than 7 or 8 years on it, but perhaps if I buy enough and live long enough I will.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Virginias such as Dunhill flake, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown and Orlik Golden Sliced are pretty good bets for long term goodness. All four will get better with age or at the very least not get worse, as some blends will fade away, such as most aromatics. Put a couple Va.Per's away as well, such as Escudo and Dunhill's Deluxe Navy Rolls. They will mellow, but should hold up over time. I would also add a few English blends such as H&H Black House and Dunhill Nightcap, both are pretty stout and even if they fade a bit over the years, they will still be tasty, just a little more mellow. You never know what you might like in 10, 20 or even 30 years, but if you cover all your bets so to speak, you will at least have something you like later. You will also be able to trade off any of these later, should you not care for them.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Anything from GLPease will age wonderfully.
For a pure play in VAs, try the Union Square.
A few years ago I started smoking some 10 year Haddo's Delight, and heard a chorus of angels singing.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
For aging, I put my money on blends I like now. If I enjoy the flavor and aroma now, at the very least I will enjoy them 5 years from now. Most will get better with that fragment of time. 5 years is a pretty good bench mark for any aged blend. Most high sugar tobaccos will continue to flourish for many more years.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I've had MacBaren Scottish from 1979 and it ages magnificently. I have also cellared MacB Navy Flake since I got some with 5 years age on it and it was to die for. I have Escudo, SPC Deception Pass, and Orlik Golden slice in quantity

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm working through some 15 year old Mac Baren's Plum Cake that is phenomenal. :puffy:

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Just to let you know, you will not be as impressed with your aged tobacco as you might think you will be. I mean ya sure if you have an outlet to tell someone 5 years from now that your tobacco is great then more power to ya and if that makes ya feel good great. But to some extent I call bullshit on aged tobacco and would say there is a difference but not exactly enough to aspire to unless you plan on posting on social media 5 years from now. me, I just buy a shit ton of baccy so that I can some day stop buying it. That's my only real goal. But that's kind of dumb too.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Aging is not bullshit. +1 on well aged Virginias, and +1 to Nate because I agree with him about the aged latakias. Th bulk of what I'm aging is SG blends like BB, FVF, SJF. I also have a bunch of Sunday Picnic, Opening Night, and Red Carpet sitting around growing old. Had some tins of old Rattray virginias that are empty now, but thats only because they were amazing. One blend that might surprise you after x years is 1792. Its pretty rough, but mellows out and turns incredible with time.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Solani 633

Filmore

Exotique and Our Best Blemd

PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake

Blend 71: Long Golden Flake
Yawn....

Status
Not open for further replies.