PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
Hello all,

In January, my friend Harry and I plan to be taking a vacation, and we’ll be traveling from South-East Pennsylvania to Southern South Carolina, and we figured we’d visit every solid B&M we could along the way. We already plan on hitting a few in PA before leaving (Boswell’s and perhaps The Pipe Rack), but other than those, we don’t really have much of an idea where the excellent B&M’s are, and I’ve found searching around online to be rather annoying. My question is, what B&M’s in/from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, both West Virginia and just Virginia, North Carolina and/to South Carolina would you recommend, and if possible, why?
It doesn’t matter how far any two B&M’s are away from each other in any given state, we’ll happily make the trek if it’s a nice place. As a bonus, if there are any B&M’s that are really that worth it to travel into a state parallel to those we are traveling through, let me know, we might just go for it!
Any input would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The two must visit B&M's in the NE would be Peretti's and Watch City Cigar but it doesn't sound like those are in your travel path.

The Squire Tobacconist is in Charleston, WV and worth a visit. Not great but not bad either. Apex Cigar Lounge in Apex, NC (just outside of Raleigh) is well worth visiting and has a nice lounge to smoke in. Pipes by George in Raleigh is a must stop. If they're still open and you spend the night in Raleigh, Havana Deluxe is a very nice Cigar Bar that does allow pipe smoking. JR Cigar is West of Raleigh in Burlington. Not much in pipe these days but if you're driving by, worth a visit just to see the sheer size of the building and all the cigars. If you're driving from West Virginia to Raleigh, stop and the Pipe and Pint in Winston Salem.

McCranies has a couple of shops around Charlotte, NC and is a must visit for pipers. Been awhile since I spent much time in SC. Used to be rather sparse for decent shops in the Charleston area, perhaps that has changed somewhat. Charleston is a fabulous city to visit though and if you do, make certain to eat at The Wreck in Mt Pleasant.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
The two must visit B&M's in the NE would be Peretti's and Watch City Cigar but it doesn't sound like those are in your travel path.

The Squire Tobacconist is in Charleston, WV and worth a visit. Not great but not bad either. Apex Cigar Lounge in Apex, NC (just outside of Raleigh) is well worth visiting and has a nice lounge to smoke in. Pipes by George in Raleigh is a must stop. If they're still open and you spend the night in Raleigh, Havana Deluxe is a very nice Cigar Bar that does allow pipe smoking. JR Cigar is West of Raleigh in Burlington. Not much in pipe these days but if you're driving by, worth a visit just to see the sheer size of the building and all the cigars. If you're driving from West Virginia to Raleigh, stop and the Pipe and Pint in Winston Salem.

McCranies has a couple of shops around Charlotte, NC and is a must visit for pipers. Been awhile since I spent much time in SC. Used to be rather sparse for decent shops in the Charleston area, perhaps that has changed somewhat. Charleston is a fabulous city to visit though and if you do, make certain to eat at The Wreck in Mt Pleasant.

Thank you, Mark, that’s one hell of a great start for our trip. I’m originally from Myrtle Beach and the surrounding areas, and I must agree that Charleston is quite wonderful.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Milan Tobacconists in Roanoke, VA.
A number of years ago I was in Roanoke on business & stopped in to check it out.
An old-time B&M tobacconist. Nice folks - very helpful.
They have a number of their own blends, many of which have become favorites over the years.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
@hoosierpipeguy compiled one hell of a list. I will add Abbies in Knightdale, NC since it isn't too far from Pipes by George which is still open and I frequent on a weekly basis. Since you're going to SC I would make a stop at Low Country Pie and Cigar which is a B&M owned by Smokingpipes. If you are interested in any of their online inventory call ahead of time and they can have it at the store for your viewing. I will be there tomorrow when visit my step daughter. She lives a mile from the store. JR's in Smithfield has a great selection of cigars and slim pickins on pipe stuff. Great prices on OTC tubs but the five year old tins of DFK and OGS are long gone though I might just know where they ended up. I almost forgot that D&R is also in Smithfield NC.

• Love
Reactions: vosBghos

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I second Pipes by George in Raleigh, as much for the ambiance as a small but good selection of tobacco, pipes, and cigars. It has a wide plank floor, a humidor, darts, a hardware scale, a manual cash register, and a pencil disclaimer on the front door about encountering smoking on the premises. It's a real one-man operation, with the occasional assistance and family as needed. It is in a row with a tattoo parlor and a bicycle shop, though the neighborhood behind it has recently been gentrified with high-end apartments and condos. It's on Hillsborough Street between the NCSU campus and the downtown. George knows his pipes, if he has time to talk, and there's a smoking table to smoke a bowl and meet another customer or two.The other possibility is Smoking Pipes brick and mortar shop outside Myrtle Beach, S.C., but I haven't been there; I take it, it is much less elaborate than their online presence, but worth seeing if you are in the area. You may discover other gems; it's hard to find a good pipe shop "anymore."

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
W. Curtis Draper, Washington, DC

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I can list several shops but the 2 that stand out is.... L J Peretti Co. 2 1/2 Park Plaza, Boston, MA 02116 and Cigars International, Hamburg, PA as they have a nice Pipe selection too.

CI.png

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Anyone been to both McCranie's locations? I was under the impression that Cornelius location was much more cigar focused. The old Park Road place has em' too but a lot of pipes/tobacco as well.

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
I know I’m a little late on this but if you are still planning, John B Hayes in Winchester VA is a must. Good selection of Tins and bulk, and a nice selection of pipes. They also have any other form of tobacco you might be interested in.

Reactions: gamzultovah

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I stopped into John Crouch Tobacconist in Alexandria, VA back in 2018 and really enjoyed it. Cool little shop and right the middle of the Old Town district with lots of other cool shops and restaurants, bars and pubs.

And I second McCrainie's in Charlotte, NC. Loved going in there.

Lyon0oq

Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
I think this is out of your way but the JRs in Whippany NJ is well worth a visit.
I just looked up JRs, and it seems like a pretty high end cigar shop/place, but what is the deal with their pipe and pipe tobacco offerings? Their webpage makes it seem like they don't really have any, but you probably have better info jguss.