Status
Not open for further replies.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
  1. Hurt - the Johnny Cash version of the Trent Reznor song
  2. Chelsea Hotel #2 - Leonard Cohen
  3. Me and Bobby Mcgee - the acoustic Kristofferson version (he wrote the song, of course) is much better than the Janis Joplin version, in my view.

The late, great Townes Van Zandt wrote this wonderful song, of course, which is also a favourite of mine. I personally enjoy his version over the Willie Nelson/Haggard version - I love Willie and Haggard, but their version has that 80s synthesizer vibe to it that makes me enjoy their version a lot less than Townes' original stripped down acoustic version, but that is just my take.
Townes and Nanci Griffith on a houseboat on Lake Travis, July 4th 1974. That was a nice stripped down version.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
"C" is for Cookie - Cookie Monster
Superfly - Curtis Mayfield
While my guitar gently weeps - The Beatles

In no particular order

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Top three is tough to pick.

My number one song is Green Green Grass of Home (Tom Jones version). Back in the late 90's I was in my late 30's driving my Dad up to Madison, Wisconsin for cancer treatment. He was recently diagnosed and we were all still in shock. The car was quiet and the radio was playing softly. Green Green Grass of Home came on the radio (Tom Jones) and my Dad reached over and cranked it up and just sat there staring out the window. When the song was over and he turned the radio down. We sat there and hardly spoke a word the rest of the trip. My Dad was my hero and I think about him everyday and I miss him very much. ?

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Kinda neat that someone picked 20 20 vision. I like that song as well. Chris Thile and Michael Daves do a sweet cover of it.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
1979 for me (just had our 40th reunion last weekend. The debut Boston album was the first LP I bought, still have it, on a wall in our rec-room. But, to me, it doesn't hold up well.
Same here... 79 which is also the year my wife was born.... On my graduation date.

Boston, Kansas, Van Halen, Queen were heard often on the radio.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Let’s say post ‘65 for simplicity’s sake.
Leonard Cohen - So Long, Marianne

John Prine - Christmas in Prison

Velvet Underground - Sweet Jane

Reactions: aquadoc

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Picking three is hard. These three are currently highest on the list:
  1. Crazy Mary by Pearl Jam
  2. Society by Eddy Vedder
  3. Root Down (Free Zone Mix) by Beastie Boys

Paul 3.0

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2019
Anderson, SC
Someday Never Comes- CCR is likely my fave song of all time.
I believe Jesus Brought us together- The Horrible Crows
The Silent Life- Rivers of Nihil (might be the finest Death Metal song ever written, and I am a huge metal nerd but it is terrific)

Status
Not open for further replies.