PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
I was wondering if any of you guys have heard of these? They were produced out by Washington DC. Wanted to know if you guys have smoked one or have some information about them..cause i can't find anything about it. Thanks.
Also, any thoughts on Yello-Bole?

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
When I was a young USN officer at Bethesda, Md I visited the Bertram shop in DC ( 1965). I became the owner of 2 Bertram pipes....they were two of my best smokers back then. Unfortunately, they are no longer in my possession....I miss them.. :(

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pipedia.org has a little info on Bertram.
Chris' Pipe Pages has one of Bertram's old catalogs (c.1950) posted online.
Yello-bole? I dunno too much about 'em. I think my dad had one -- long lost now.

The Kaywoodie Compendium says:

The Yello-Bole line was introduced in 1932 and was an outlet for lower grade briar not used in Kaywoodie production. Yello-Bole's were manufactured by Penacook, New Hampshire subsidiary, The New England Briar Pipe Company. Advertising from the 1940's, pictures the Yello-Bole "Honey Girl" and urges the pipe smoker to smoke the pipe with "a little honey in every bowl." Honey was an ingredient of the material used to line the inside of the bowl. It was said to provide a faster, sweeter break-in of the pipe.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, i heard they were really great pipes. Thats a shame what happened with them though.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
There are a lot of shop brands from around America.

Jost (St. Louis)

Ehrlich (Boston)

Edwards (Tampa)

Bertram (DC)

These are some of the more famous house brands. I collect the Jost's b/c I live in Saint Louis, but from what I've seen, the Bertram pipes often have better fit and finish and their stems seem to be made of superior vulcanite. In my opinion (and those of much more learned men than I) Bertram pipes are a fantastic bargain for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.