Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A flock of migrating robins has taken up in the area including a tall-tall bush in our yard producing berries. I knew it did blossoms, but I didn't recall the berries after all these years. The robins descended a few days ago and flop around in the upper branches eating and reveling probably mostly on their way north, though some stay here year round, I believe. Of course they have spotted the driveway is berries, or more correctly, digested berries. It's a little messy and off-putting, but also a cheerful harbinger of spring, though we may get a wintry mix before the season in over. Mostly it has been global warming here until now. Any bird migrations where you are?

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
I keep feeders full of sunflower seeds for the cardinals in my yard, which keeps their red Holinesses in our yard year round, which keeps away most birds. But, I have noticed since setting up a small vineyard of different muscadines and wine grapes, that now the woods close to my house are full of small musc vines, cabernet francs, and grenache grapes. So, we are getting some intruders spreading seed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suspect those cardinals are carrying their share of grape seeds. I think they have a pretty good range, despite being homebodies at night. I like the way the males butter up their girlfriends by feeding them seeds. I think it is one of the kinds of birds where the male takes an active part in feeding the family too. It's the state bird of N.C. and about six or eight other states as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.