Bernie Ecclestone To Become A Father Again At 89!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is to become a father for the fourth time at the ripe old age of 89 with his latest wife Fabiana aged 44.

Though it is his choice I have to wonder if that's fair on the yet to be born son (for a boy is what is due). Bernie will be aged 106 when it comes to teaching his son how to drive!

My own father was sired by his father at the age of 70 and that had a profound effect on him as he was a mere boy of 12 when his father died.

Is there a time when a man should make the conscious decision to call a halt on making babies?

As an aside, I am aged 58 yet my paternal grandfather (above) fought in both Boer wars, not many folks my age can make that claim.

Regards,

Jay.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Well, in Bernies case that might not be such a bad thing. At least he won't be around to introduce his offspring to his views on women (women, like other kitchen appliances, should wear white, is an infamous utterance).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Back when fathers were mostly supposed to sire children and then provide for them and leave all the child rearing to wife, grandmothers, and aunts, a senior father was an indulgence that could be afforded, though it took a toll on the children. I was fortunate enough to have my father until I was 60. He did his work as a dad more than most of his generation, but more than that, he provided wise counsel and an attentive audience to my life otherwise. I was also extremely lucky in knowing and relating to all four of my grandparents through their passing. Now I think most men expect to put on their running shoes when toddlers take to their feet and keep up for most of their first 18 or 20 years, and supply attention and support on into their adulthood. So today, elderly men starting new or late families are really dumping the mom and the kids. Kids who lose their young dads often feel their presence as they grow up, military men lost in service and so on, so the dad is a true father even if in absentia and postmortem. But I can attest, a father can be a life-long parent, a guru you can trust. As a matter of intention, dads should be in it for the long haul, as a reasonable expectation, to me.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
It seems incredibly cruel and irresponsible to consciously deprive a child of either parent. That boy will not have a father for long- if at all.

I say "consciously" because most women of 44 have hit the wall and have to take extra measures (likely IVF) to even get pregnant. Society may say it's alright because Fabiana will be left to care for the child, but the role of fatherhood is completely undervalued as a whole. :(

Jun 23, 2019
Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is to become a father for the fourth time at the ripe old age of 89 with his latest wife Fabiana aged 44.

Though it is his choice I have to wonder if that's fair on the yet to be born son (for a boy is what is due). Bernie will be aged 106 when it comes to teaching his son how to drive!

My own father was sired by his father at the age of 70 and that had a profound effect on him as he was a mere boy of 12 when his father died.

Is there a time when a man should make the conscious decision to call a halt on making babies?

As an aside, I am aged 58 yet my paternal grandfather (above) fought in both Boer wars, not many folks my age can make that claim.

Regards,

Jay.

My immediate reaction is that I would only hope to have my engine firing on all cylinders at that age.

And I also wouldn't be so sure it's entirely his idea, I find that, among my peers at least, the ones with older parents are often surprises.

I've often wondered about the effects of having older (or younger) parents and while there can be a vague trend, anomalies are aplenty too.

- - -

The story has so many angles about which to be skeptical. It is rare to get a look into the life of an “elite” and not come away with a sour taste.

That's a pretty dark view but not entirely unfounded I suppose. Are you implying something more sinister in this particular case? (Because that's where my head went to first as well).

- - -

It seems incredibly cruel and irresponsible to consciously deprive a child of either parent. That boy will not have a father for long- if at all.

I say "consciously" because most women of 44 have hit the wall and have to take extra measures (likely IVF) to even get pregnant. Society may say it's alright because Fabiana will be left to care for the child, but the role of fatherhood is completely undervalued as a whole. :(

I don't think duration of fatherhood equates to quality of fatherhood? An argument can be made that an older parent has more time to spend with their kids than a younger 30-something parent who is forced to prioirtize his career if he wants to provide his family a better life.

Although in this particular case, I think the reality is probably even more sinister. Like @Casual said: life of the rich and famous and all that jazz. ?

Reactions: supperthyme

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
supper' and lukas' have some good points. Two parents are better than one, provide a balanced view and perspective of adulthood for the child, so it isn't just one prevailing ego. Fatherhood is vaguely understood, but nonetheless an important and key role. I think lukas' touches on the theme that it is all but impossible to comprehend or judge someone else's paternity (whether biological or legal). People are complex creatures. What you think you see is often way off the mark.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
I don't think duration of fatherhood equates to quality of fatherhood?

I absolutely see your point, Lukas. But at this rate, Ol' Bernie will likely be gone before the child can even form memory of him and that absolutely makes a difference.

Besides that- there are different lessons to be taught as children grow older with varying degrees of importance.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
That's a pretty dark view but not entirely unfounded I suppose. Are you implying something more sinister in this particular case? (Because that's where my head went to first as well).

Well, she’s his third wife. She was in her thirties and he was over 80 at the marriage. Whaddya bet she’s definitely not getting the fortune in the will? He’s got kids older than her; I’m sure more lawyers were involved in that marriage contract than hairs on my head.

But! What if there was a child? Certainly the estate would take care of any offspring and their caretakers. I’m not saying every thirty something who marries a rich octogenarian knows exactly what she’s in for, but I’ll bet most of them do. And vice versa.

Speculation of course. But read biographies of elites of the past and you’ll find far more cynical stories.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
that doesn't seem great. I have known a few people who had older parents at birth like 60's or older and the kids just were not right. Seriously not always easy to describe but they don't seem "fresh". Often times when you meet their parents you think "oh man that explains it".

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Damn, I lost interest in that noise before I was 40. My son was born when I was 40, but only because the lady of the house wanted a third child.

• Haha
Reactions: lukasstrifeson
Status
Not open for further replies.