PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Just a few pics. I'm going to post it on the pipe makers forum as well for feedback. As I said, this is my first stem attempt using acrylic.

Hn2IY5x.jpg

ntIdO3Q.jpg

YOd9Ll0.jpg

Delrin Tenon

70T3wJe.jpg

Stamp is nice and crisp

JfmENVf.jpg

ynm1mFH.jpg

2FtDdjX.jpg

Bit of stain got in

kyPm3P4.jpg

CKmi21D.jpg

L5sxILs.jpg

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Nice. Strange, to me, choice of stem colour. Also I see Buck Alpha there. Custom or 420HC?

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Chief, I used mahogany as the base, light brown as the top.

Here is a link to all the great folk at the pipe makers forum. If you are looking for help with anything to do with making your own; those guys and gals are the best.

http://pipemakersforum.com/forum/

Ben, I like the stem contrast but that's just me.

420SC I keep the one you sent me for 'special' times as in field dressing.

sasquatch, yeah, I started with the acrylic because I'm a masochist and love pain. :crazy:(Not really)

My reasoning was start with what folks have said is the most difficult, and once I've done a few acrylic; move to ebonite. I have 4 black, Japanese ebonite rods. Will give it a go.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
shikano53....
Beautiful pipe, and I like the stem color and graceful shape. Really nice hunk of smokin' wood.
Just asking: I have tried to join, and contacted the administrators of The Pipemaker's Forum but no go. What's the story with this group....are they inactive, active...how do I join? I went thru the whole registration bit, got a confirmation in an e-mail, that I was accepted, and was never activated as a member. I'm still waiting and it's been nearly a month since I registered. Requests for an explanation go unanswered.
Just curious....is the Pipemakers' Forum alive, and well.
BTW....can an acrylic stem be softened and then bent after holding it over a candle...or, do you need a heat gun? I have a straight acrylic on a pipe, and I decided the pipe would look much better with a stem having a very slight bend, just like the stem on your pipe. I would rather not send the pipe out for this simple modification. I would like to bend the stem myself, but I don't have the cojones, yet, until I know how it's done. I'd hate to crack the stem by using improper heating techniques. BTW, I've bent Vulcanite stems by holding it over a candle flame until the rubber softened, and was just wondering if acrylic can be bent just as easily.
Thanks for the photos and for any suggestions.
Frank

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hello Frank, unfortunately I can't help you much except to say keep trying. I'm a newbie myself and maybe someone here with more knowledge will chime in and give you some advice. They are all pipe smokers and carvers and are probably so maxed out busy that things take time to get through the system. Hang in there brother!

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Frank, I forgot to answer your primary question. This is just my humble opinion and there are a lot of other folk who will add some better information.

Here goes, I have used a candle in the past on vulcanite but never on acrylic. You can try but I would be very, very careful. I have found in my own newbie experience that acrylic has to be treated differently. I use a heat gun on the mid heat position and I very carefully heat the body mostly where I want the bend to be slowly. Put a pipe cleaner through your stem. I have found that if it is heated to much it can do what I call puddle. That is get a dent in it and that's tough to get out if nigh on impossible. You could also try a hair dryer it gets pretty hot and that might work too. Have a bucket or pan ready that has a tray of ice cubes in it and some cold water. When you have bent your stem and as you are holding it with both hands, dunk it in the ice water and count to thirty or whatever you feel comfortable with. Acrylic can sometimes pop back to it's previous form if not cooled enough although I think that is true of vulcanite as well.

That's about all I can say.

Kind regards

Chris

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Chris...
Thanks for the information about heating/bending acrylic. Sounds a bit daunting, and I just may do a few practice stems before I work on the "real" stem. In any event, appreciate the time it took for the explanation. Much obliged for your interest.
Pipe Maker's Forum....Have no idea what's going on with this forum. Multiple calls, multiple e-mails...nothing. Registered almost a month ago, got a confirmation, but membership never activated by them. Doesn't seem to be too much action on that site either. Fortunately, one is still able to read thru all the older postings. Very interesting information.
Again, many thanks. Make more pipes, show us pictures....
Frank

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I use a butane lighter for all stem bending, chatter removal, etc. Great work on that one Chris! My first acrylic was full of bubbles where I over heated it on a belt sander. 8O

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Frank, I've attached a picture from the pipe makers forum. I don't know if you read this area but it is right on the first page and is entitled 'Read This Before Joining'

EmJwTSy.jpg

chasingembers, thanks for the comment. I use my belt sander to taper it down to the button.

I received some good feedback from the pipe makers forum which I will try and implement in my next Dublin.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
shikano53...
Did all that and apparently registration was accepted. I got e-mail saying my membership will be activated, and never was. Tried to re-register, again, and a red warning said....that I exceeded the number of times, yada, yada, yada...honestly at this point, I don't even care anymore. If I'm accepted and allowed to join, that's fine, if not, that's fine too.
Love reading all the tech postings on that forum. Learned a lot of useful techniques.
Thanks for the help.
Frank
*****************************************************************************************
Oh...looked up a few articles on how to bend Lucite/Acrylic pipe stems. One suggested using hot water to heat the acrylic, and another suggested heating table salt in a pan and spooning the hot salt over the area that needs to be bent. Both methods will gently heat the plastic until it's easy to bend. Both, suggested that a wet pipe cleaner should be inserted into the stem before bending, and not a bristle pipe cleaner either...just a plain fluffy cleaner. Withdraw the pipe cleaner only after the stem cools off and holds the new shape.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
shikano and others....
Finally got up the nerve to try bending the straight, acrylic stem on a custom-made pipe. I followed all the directions for bending a stem by using hot water to soften the plastic. It worked like a charm. Just shoved a pipe cleaner into the draft-hole.... dipped the stem (still attached to pipe) into hot simmering water.... and waited a couple of minutes until the stem softened and became pliable.....gently bent the stem into a gentle curve, and cooled off the newly bent stem in tepid water. Done. The pipe looks much nicer to my eye, with a slightly bent stem. The best part....didn't need to use a candle or a heat gun (which I didn't have). The stem modification was done by me, in my house, not in a repair shop, in less than 10 minutes - including the time it took to boil the water.
Now, Frank is a happy man, thanks to this shikano53 thread...and, to all the helpful, how-to, suggestions made by the forum members. Another skill has been added to my limited repertoire, and my custom-made pipe sports a jaunty, kick-ass, "new" look. Amazing what a difference just a quarter inch can make...right guys..... ; ))))
Much obliged,

Frank

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I once went on a bender, binge bending stems of several of my pipes. I was thrilled!

Later, I decided to return them to original. Some pipes are great with a bent stem, and some almost require one.

Experimentation is how I got into this pastime.
Chris, good start! (on the hand made stems.) As you know from the beginning, I've placed a high value on that end of the pipe maker's presentation. You went for the fun stuff first, and have a great handle on the wood part. I think you will show improvement with more 'experience', and that you can learn from each.
You Canadians may corner the North American market if you keep it up. Heck, Parks sells to Jinah!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My first attempt to register on the carvers forum wasn't successful. B wit on the second the head guy was very responsive and steered me through it. I think part of the difficulty the first time was that I didn't concentrate adequately and got into a knot.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Really like the flow on the lines on this pipe, and I especially admire the thick walls of the bowl and plus-plus on the grain on the brim. I like the contrasting stem myself; that's an individual call, but it livens up the pipe for me. It's a nitpick, but the bowl narrows down a bit too much for me at the base, but that's just my whim. Handsome pipe, really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.