PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I was just at my local B&M and had a discount. I've never had this broken Virginia Flake, and with the discount it seemed like a good opportunity to try something new. As I looked through the tins, it looked like date stamps on the bottom. I found one that said 2003, and there is a bit of a swell to the tin and the plastic top is quite yellowed. So, I am assuming the stamp is in fact a date stamp and I just scored a 13 year old tin. I haven't opened it yet, but was curious if anyone has tried this. I read the reviews elsewhere but wanted to know if any of you have experience directly, or if you know more about the stamping. Thanks.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've been smoking it for years, and consider it a very nice flake indeed; as a matter of fact, I would put it at number 3 on my personal list of flakes. It doesn't get a lot of notice, which is too bad.

I don't know if the stamp on the bottom is a date stamp or not. I just popped a tin I set aside almost 5 years ago; it says 2004 on the bottom, so I would like to think that it is. :puffy:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's a great VA flake, somewhat in the McClelland style. It could be made by McClelland for all I know. To me, it tastes like a natural, matured Virginia flake that's been cased in apple cider. Not suggesting there's apple cider in it, but that's sort of how it comes across -- sweet and tangy.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Not sure of the dateing but if it is a 13yo tin that will be a great smoke, let us know when you open it :puffpipe:

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I'll be opening it sooner than later and will definitely report when I do. I am very much looking forward to it whether it is 13 years old or only a few. Jud, do you mind sharing what numbers 1 and 2 are for you? I've only been on the Va Flake kick for a few months and am having a lot of fun trying them. Peter Heinrichs (RIP) flakes have been phenomenal of late.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo cra
It was a treat spending time and sharing bowls with you last weekend at the KW/NE/HVPC Christmas/Holiday event. Thanks for the bowl of the 13YO Signature. I puffed it on the way home and it made the drive go more easily.
hp

les

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
And an update, it was definitely 13 years old. Upon holding the flakes up to the light they glitter. Definitely covered in sugar crystals, and definitely mellowed out and sweetened. This is definitely made by McClelland, and was a fantastic smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.