PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Just got my Bengal Slices tin that I ordered from Smoking Pipes.

97b25d1f-d807-4fe2-ac2f-c06568e1ec7b-600x450.jpg

“Cyprian Latakia, Oriental, bright Virginia & Black Cavendish.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm smoking some right now. Be sure to try it in a couple of different size/shape pipes.
I am finding latakia blends to offer up different taste profiles in different pipes.
jay-roger.jpg

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
They also mention a “subtle top note” without being specific.

Bottom line is I’m enjoying it very much, my first tin I got as part of a lot on eBay, but could not smoke it because of mold. Fortunately, it’s been the only tin in the lot that I’ve had a problem with, but I had been very much looking forward to the day that I would open it!

I think my anticipation was well justified, because now that I finally can smoke it, I have the extra satisfaction of persistence rewarded!
The crumble cake breaks up well, tamps and burns evenly, and I have had a very satisfactory smoke that was worth the extra effort.

My palate is not as educated as that of many of you, so I hope you’ll chime in with some of your own observations.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I love the stuff. Wish they'd sell it in 8 or 16 oz tins
I'm smoking War Horse Bar right now, and it's obvious the topping shares an ingredient or two with Bengal Slices, but I don't like War Horse near as much as Bengal. With Bengal, the topping adds a dose of sweetness to the components and furthers that exotic, incense like flavor and aroma.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Bengal Slices has become a staple of mine...along with Plum Pudding Special Reserve...both are just fabulous!

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Dan, Interesting that you should mention War Horse. I just ordered some for the first time and have yet to try it.

I saw the Bar that you’re smoking and the Green, that says it has an additional aromatic top note, but elected to buy the ready cut since it includes Perique and a top note. Have you tried them?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The War Horse trio is either 'your love it' tobacco or something that will make you curse out Dan & Simon for resurrecting it from the beyond! Whilst the brands are now owned by the guys in Bethlehem P.A they are still the same ones we brought back from the dead. I hope you enjoy one or all of them!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Love the Bar, the green is a bit heady, never tried the ready cut...happy with what I have in the red and green.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I haven't had the green, but plan on giving it a try. The bar is more of a change of pace smoke for me, whereas Bengal Slices might be my favorite latakia blend. I could smoke Bengal day in, day out, no problem. The topping is more prevalent in War Horse than Bengal, and I just have to be in the mood for it.
Is War Horse Green a bar or ready cut?

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
BTW, I had a problem with my last purchase off eBay. They say they no longer allow tobacco sales, so I resolved the matter directly with the seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.