PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
As my experience and pipe collection grows, I’ve come to realize that I absolutely love the high gloss finish on most of the pipes I own. Also, my interest in estate pipes continue to grow and would like to dabble in restorations.
As most of us know, the high gloss finish begins to dull and fade over time as the pipe is broken in and used on a regular basis. Also, it appears as if there is some type of clearcoat or varnish on a lot of my pipes, mostly mid grade Savinelli’s. I guess my main question is how to bring back that beautiful high gloss finish and the obvious answer is a buffing machine of some type. I’m thinking a variable speed bench top polisher should work fairly well along with various compounds, polishes and waxes. I do have extensive experience in polishing automotive finishes so I understand the basic concepts however I have never attempted polishing wood/briar beyond using those silicone pipe cloths.
I’m not looking for a commercial grade grinder or polisher, however I don’t want cheap Chinese garbage either. Just something for light restorations and regular polishing. Should I look for a specialty type polisher or can I simply get a bench grinder from Lowe’s/Home Depot and convert it to a polisher? The only thing I’m certain of is that it should be a variable speed correct?
Please advise. Thanks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Furnace motors work well. Anything in the 1700-2000 RPM range is perfect for waxing. Have tried the Halcyon and Paragon waxes?

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Thanks Duane. Great suggestion. I have not tried Halcyon or Paragon yet but have some on the way as we speak. Those are meant for hand polishing correct?

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
I have been looking at this one. 1750 RPM. Take the grinder wheels off and put on buffing wheels and Bob's your uncle. I know one guy who uses it only for his pipes and has nothing but good things to say. It was recently on sale for $100-$110
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/rikon-8in-slow-speed-grinder

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A variable speed router control on a bench grinder will slowly kill the motor. I tried one on a Craftsman metal buffer (3300 rpm) and it didn't work very well.
That Rikon looks like it has the right specs. You'll want to mount two long arbor pad mounts, you can pick them up cheap from Caswell Electropalting.
I have a furnace motor with a long arbor and a similar spec dual-arbor buffer.
Here's my setup.
https://rebornpipes.com/2013/08/19/my-buffing-motor-setup/

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
OK. Thanks gents.
Just so happens that I was looking hard at that same exact Rikon 8” in the link above. Just wasn’t sure if the guards could be removed.
I’ll post pics when I’m all set up

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
ssjones
Wow, what a great setup. You’ve given me lots of ideas. rebornpipes! What a great website full of the exact info I’ve been looking for. Thanks a bunch.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I use the Beal Buffing System. It comes complete.
Also I mounted mine on the interior of a bug big box and have C clamps holding it together. Easy set up. I do a run of one pad/compound. Then I do the quick switch (thank you Beal) to the next pad/compound and so on.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@Panhandler - glad it gave you some ideas. I'm a cheapskate at heart and just went with the single-arbor buffer for many years. I happened on the dual-arbor machine thru a local Facebook ad. I used to do a lot of metal polish work, primarily stainless motorcycle parts. So I also have a big HP, full speed metal buffing setup, although it doesn't get used that often these days. But the buffing compounds were all leftover from that work.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Most of my pipe work is done using an old Foredom flexshaft tool that my father bought surplus sometime in the 1960's. It's nice to able to work carefully in small areas, and to have the advantage of foot pedal speed control. And it still smells like my dad's old garage. Dad passed away six years ago, so it gives me a good feeling to put his tools to work, while puffing on a bowl of something enjoyable.
I also have buffing wheels mounted on an old Sears grinder, but that Rikon buffer looks like the shizzizzle to me. I'm going to order one, too. And the Beal system. Thanks, Tim, good info.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
OK Gentlemen
Based on research and recommendations here, I ordered the Rikon slow speed bench grinder (1750 rpm) and the Beall’s wood buffing system.
Going to set up a buffing station in the garage and my stable of pipes are going to get some love! Also just received a pre transition Barlings Make that’s going to be my first attempt at a light restoration. Threads and pics to follow.
Once again, this forum and the very helpful members here have provided invaluable information. Thanks again to all.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Hey woodsroad
Thanks for sharing your experiences with your fathers Foredom flexshaft. I too still have several hand tools my father gave me when I was a teenager and got my first car. I use them often and think of him every time I use one.
Oh and I’m guessing the secret Santa has come to completion based on your avatar? Almost didn’t recognize you for a second!

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Hey ssjones
I did order an extra arbor adapter since I want to use both sides of this grinder. The only issue I’m predicting is that the Beall kit recommends that the buffing wheel rotates counter clockwise as seen from the end of the arbor. Thinking maybe I can just reverse the pad on one side so it faces inward and hopefully that will work. I’ll post results.
Oh yes. A buff rake, forgot about that. Thanks.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't think that will work. If not a left hand arbor from Caswell electroplating is about 15 bucks. The Beal system looks great, but it is expensive. Two arbors and pads (3) from Caswell runs about $50.
Jestco also sells reasonably priced arbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.