Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I discovered this blend years ago in an obscure tobacco shop hidden away behind some trees on a dirt road leading into a heavy rural area. The shop is long gone now, but I went in there several times back in the day. The owner was a very large Scottish immigrant with a massive handlebar mustache. His knowledge on all things tobacco was impressive. Anyway, he recommended this blend to me. This was in 2007. Since then, it has been part of my regular rotation, though I can only get it online now.

This is one of those blends that has to be sipped. If you smoke it slow, it will work its magic on you. I smoke it out of my Savinelli Porto Cervo 305 (shown next to the tin in the photo below). Though I'm not normally a fan of Virginia-type tobaccos (I do like them when paired with Latakia, as in English blends), this one is an exception (could be the addition of the Burley and/or Kentucky). The flavor is distinctly "old world." I'm not sure how to describe what that means, but I know what it means to me. I find it to be a cool, soothing smoke, with a subtle sweet and spicy tone. Well-balanced, with no bite, this is a blend that I believe must be sampled by the serious pipe smoker.

4 out 4 stars.

1610055179549.png

Attachments

• 1610055097925.png
    1610055097925.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Nice review!

I've never tried this one. Between the premium price and all the OGs talking about the glory of the old stuff, I've just never gotten around to it. Which is kind of dumb on my part, really, because I like Virginia and I like dark-fired Kentucky, and I never tried the old stuff to interfere with my perception of the current version. Everything about the blend indicates it would be one I'd enjoy, and it's not THAT much more expensive. Might add a tin to my next order. Also need to add Three Friars as well.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I much preferred the original Bell's Three Nuns that was made in Scotland. It was a true VaPer. When it was sold to a Scandinavian company they switched it up and substituted something (burley?) for the perique and that pretty much ruined the blend for me.
I feel the same way. I wrote about much of this in my Three Nuns review. For those who'd like some history with a review, maybe you'll find this of use.

This first paragraph contains my review of the VaPer Three Nuns, which was in continuous production until the end of 2003. I smoked around a 130-150 pounds of the several versions (WW2, the 1980s through 2003) of this particular mixture, and while the 1990s and later manufactures had a tad less perique, this review is meant to describe the experiences I was most familiar with: The fermented Virginias provided a lot of rather tart and very tangy citrus, some tangy ripe dark fruit, wood and earth, a little grass and bread with a few light sour, floral, acidic, sugar notes. They took a small lead in the proceedings. The tingly perique was very spicy, earthy, with an abundance of stewed raisins, plums, figs and dates as a strong supporting player. The perique was about 18% of the mix, and played a little above that percentage in terms of effect. The woody, earthy, sweet, floral, herbal, vegetative, slightly nutty, mildly spicy Brazilian lights were just above being condiments. The very mild prune, rum and anise toppings lightly sublimated the tobaccos. The strength and taste levels were a step past the medium level. The nic-hit was medium. Wouldn’t bite, but sported a few small rough edges. The coin cut was loose enough that you could easily rub it out or stack them without getting a tight draw. Had just a little loose cut in the tin, too. Well balanced and very complex, it burned cool, clean and slightly slow with a very consistent, deeply rich sweet and spicy, lightly savory flavor that translated to the pleasantly lingering after taste and stronger room note. Despite its strength, it could almost be an all day smoke for the very experienced smoker. Four stars for this version.

This second paragraph is my review of the Orlik Va/Kentucky version (2004-2013), of which I smoked a couple of pounds: The Virginias offered semi-sweet tart and tangy citrus with slight sour, floral, acidic, and bread notes, a little grass and tangy ripe dark fruit, some earth, wood and few grains of sugar as the lead components. The woody, earthy, floral, mildly spicy, slightly nutty, slightly sweet Kentucky was a supporting player. The amount of Kentucky in the coins varied at times, but it usually ended up being around 18% of the blend. The woody, earthy, sweet, floral, herbal, vegetative, slightly nutty, mildly spicy Brazilian lights were condiments. The very mild prune, rum and anise toppings didn’t sublimate the tobaccos much, and seemed to be a tad less obvious than in the VaPer version. The strength and taste levels were medium. The nic-hit was a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium. Wouldn’t bite, but had a hint of a rough edge. The coin cut was loose enough that you could easily rub it out or stack them without getting a tight draw. Had just a little loose cut in the tin, too. Well balanced and mildly complex, it burned cool, clean and slightly slow with a very consistent, moderately rich sweet and spicy, slightly savory and sour flavor that translated the pleasantly lingering after taste and lightly stronger room note. It could be an all day smoke for the experienced smoker. Three stars for this version.

Mac Baren licensed the rights to manufacture Three Nuns in 2013. They used the Orlik VaKy formulation instead of the VaPer due to legal reasons. This review is for the current Mac Baren version: The light and dark Virginias provide a burst of tart and tangy, acidic citrus and grass, some wood and earth, a little tangy dark fruit and honey with hints of bread and floralness, and light sugar. They are more team players than they are the lead components. Giving them stiff competition and occasionally taking the lead is the very spicy, earthy, woody, rather floral, herbal, lightly nutty sweet, vegetative, dry and mildly sour dark fired Kentucky. The woody, earthy, sweet, floral, herbal, vegetative, nutty, mildly spicy Brazilian lights are barely condiments. The strength is medium, while the taste is a step past the mark. The nic-hit is a step short of the medium mark. Won’t bite or get harsh, but it does sport a few rough edges. The coins are inconsistent in size and shape, and the amounts of the varietals varies a bit in each one. Between that and the loose cut tobacco, the aforementioned aspects leads to some inconsistency in the overall sweet and spicy, acidic, mildly sour, lightly savory flavor. Burns clean, moderately cool, and a tad slow. Leaves little dampness in the bowl and requires a few more than an average number of relights. The after taste reflects the overall taste as it and the lightly stronger room notes pleasantly linger. Not an all day smoke but it is repeatable. Three stars.

Comparisons: the VaPer versions was tangier and more fermented than all other productions, and much spicier than the Orlik VaKy, which sported a very small amount of it. The spice in Mac Baren’s TN is almost as potent as the VaPer TN, but it’s a different spice. The perique had much more fruit than the other non-perique, which made the VaPer much sweeter than Orlik’s TN and a step sweeter than what Mac Baren makes. There’s more acidity in both VaKy blends than there was the VaPer TN. The Brazilian Lights are less prominent in Mac Baren’s than the others, which essentially equal each other in that respect. This is primarily because the dark fired Kentucky Mac Baren uses over powers them. In fact, the DFK has a stronger presence than the perique does in the older TN as well, which wrecks the flavor balance in the Mac Baren TN, and in comparison to the other better balanced productions. The VaPer was deeper and richer in flavor than what has followed. Mac Baren’s TN has the same strength and taste level as the VaPer, and both had more of each than the Orlik TN. The VaPer and Orlik’s were a little less sour than Mac Baren’s, and the VaPer was a little less so than what Orlik made.

The coin cut and amount of loose cut in the VaPer and Orlik VaKy were the same, except the VaPer tended to be more consistent in the distribution of tobaccos in each coin. The Mac Baren coins are bigger and more loosely held together with more loose cut tobacco in the tin. The Kentucky is generally more spread out in the coin rather than centered as in previous manufactures. Also, the toppings are much less obvious in the Mac Baren TN, and it has more honey than the others ever did. Essentially, Three Nuns has gone from the original Bell's blend to being a full fledged Mac Baren product that uses the VaKy Orlik recipe with their own tobaccos. The rating at this forum reflects the Mac Baren TN, and not the earlier incarnations.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Try Savinelli Doblone D’oro. ?
Doblone d'Oro is the closest thing to the old Three Nuns I have tried, and I've tried several recreation attempts. I also recommend Three Nuns Green, which I gave three and a half stars instead of four because there's a little inconsistency in the overall flavor. But, it's worth buying. Below is my review of both blends.

Three Nuns Green:
The earthy, dark fruity, lightly grassy and wood, lightly acidic, tart and tangy citrusy Virginias form the base of the blend. The very woody, earthy, dry, herbal, slightly sharp, fairly spicy, smoky, mildly floral dark fired Kentucky competes for attention with the Virginias, and mostly takes a little of the lead. The raisiny, spicy, plumy perique runs third place here as a condiment. The strength level is just short of medium while the taste barely makes that threshold. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. No chance of bite or harshness, and has no dull moments. There is a little inconsistency in the flavor because some coins have more dark fired Kentucky than others, and there’s some loose cut tobacco along with the coins. The tobacco is lightly moist and the coins are pliable to suit your packing preference. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace, and will burn to ashes. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires just a tad more than an average number of relights. Has a very pleasant, lightly lingering after taste and stronger room note. Can easily be an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro:
The Virginias are tart and tangy citrus sweet with a little tangy dark fruit, grass, some earth and a touch of honey, bread and acidity. The dark fired spicy, woody, floral, herbal, vegetative, mildly dry and sour Kentucky is an important player, adding some flavor depth and strength. There is a fair amount of raisiny, peppery, plumy, earthy perique that plays well with the Kentucky spice that may tingle the tongue of a fast puffer. The lightly nutty, earthy, woody burley is less than a condiment. There are a very mild rum and anise topping that work well with the tobaccos, and doesn't sublimate them. The strength and taste levels are closer to medium than they are to full. The nic-hit is medium. Won't bite or get harsh, but fast puffing may result in a light tongue tingle. It does have a few small rough edges. The tobacco is coin cut, but very easy to break part or fold and stuff as you please. It's reminiscent of Mac Baren's Three Nuns in several ways, which is no surprise since Mac Baren manufactures both mixtures. It's a little stronger and spicier, and more nuanced than the current Three Nuns (and a little less spicer and sweeter than the old VaPer version). Consider this to be a hot-to-trot kissing cousin to the new Three Nuns, and closer to the VaPer Three Nuns than any of today's or past productions. The varietals are a little dry out of the tin. Well balanced and complex, it burns clean and fairly cool at a lightly slow pace with a deeply rich, very consistent mildly tart and tangy sweet, spicy, lightly savory flavor that translates to the pleasantly lingering after taste, and a lightly stronger room note. Leaves just a little dampness in the bowl. Requires a couple more than an average number of relights. Not quite an all day smoke, but it is a repeatable one.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I discovered this blend years ago in an obscure tobacco shop hidden away behind some trees on a dirt road leading into a heavy rural area. The shop is long gone now, but I went in there several times back in the day. The owner was a very large Scottish immigrant with a massive handlebar mustache. His knowledge on all things tobacco was impressive. Anyway, he recommended this blend to me. This was in 2007. Since then, it has been part of my regular rotation, though I can only get it online now.

This is one of those blends that has to be sipped. If you smoke it slow, it will work its magic on you. I smoke it out of my Savinelli Porto Cervo 305 (shown next to the tin in the photo below). Though I'm not normally a fan of Virginia-type tobaccos (I do like them when paired with Latakia, as in English blends), this one is an exception (could be the addition of the Burley and/or Kentucky). The flavor is distinctly "old world." I'm not sure how to describe what that means, but I know what it means to me. I find it to be a cool, soothing smoke, with a subtle sweet and spicy tone. Well-balanced, with no bite, this is a blend that I believe must be sampled by the serious pipe smoker.

4 out 4 stars.

View attachment 59172
You wrote a very good review. I will say that I find it better with a little age.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I haven’t tried any version of 3nuns, but I managed to get some doblone d’oro in the cellar before the embargo. I’m gonna let her age before popping the tin.

I have quite a bit of synjeco greenodd and glp triple play, both with 7-10years on them, and reading these reviews makes me think of them. Also reminds me of my favourite clay pipe smoke newminster 403.

great reading for this rainy morning

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I much preferred the original Bell's Three Nuns that was made in Scotland. It was a true VaPer. When it was sold to a Scandinavian company they switched it up and substituted something (burley?) for the perique and that pretty much ruined the blend for me.
Kentucky, the Perique was replaced with Kentucky.

Saviinelli Doblone d'Oro is the closest match to the classic Three Nuns.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I smoked the original in those round hockey puck tins in the 1980s. I asked Jim about the newish versions and he sniffed and told me I wouldn't like them. I am curious about Doblone d'Oro but I am wary about buying a whole tin and then getting stuck with something I might hate.
Knowing you aren't into VaPers, I couldn't tell you it was something you'd like when I figured you wouldn't.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I haven’t tried any version of 3nuns, but I managed to get some doblone d’oro in the cellar before the embargo. I’m gonna let her age before popping the tin.

I have quite a bit of synjeco greenodd and glp triple play, both with 7-10years on them, and reading these reviews makes me think of them. Also reminds me of my favourite clay pipe smoke newminster 403.

great reading for this rainy morning
I like Triple Play quite a bit. I find it occupies its own niche as a stout VaPerKy, more on the savory side but with some nice dark fruit notes, which I bet becomes more prominent with age. I really should set some aside to find out.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Appreciate the reviews & recommendations. Regarding Perique blends, my taste buds are so finicky. Some I think I’d like don’t work out & the reverse. This is where I really miss a good local shop.

Reactions: BROBS

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Back when I began smoking a pipe, I used to check the bowl size before I bought a pipe. The reason was, I wanted pipes that held those little rounds of goodness stacked in my pipes. I sure do miss it. The Doblone d'Oro is pretty good but, I certainly don't have any pipes that hold those stacked coins!

Mike S.

• Love
Reactions: BROBS and edger
Status
Not open for further replies.