Believe or not, never owned a corn cob, should I get one??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
I was always under the assumption that corn cob is an introductory level pipe which you get to see if pipe smoking is your cup of tea or not, and I thought of them as disposable cheap smokers. On the contrary, I came across many many positive feedbacks about corn cobs and realized I was wrong. So, now I am curious, are cobs good smokers? They are insanely cheap compared to briar, so if they are good why people spend 100X more on briars. I appreciate if you educated me on cobs a little bit :)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yes, they can be introductory pipes.
Yes, they are dirt cheap.
Yup, they are good smokers.
Briar is superior in many ways, however. More durable, slicker, valuable. A briar pipe has better reselling potential—just look at the estate pipes market: how many cobs do you see there?

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Yes, get a cob. They are good smokers and great pipes to knock around with, you can abuse the heck of of them and they still smoke fine. In fact I believe they like the abuse, I also find they dont ghost as bad as brair. If you dont like it then you out 10 bucks or less. I also like the filterd ones for when I want to puff like a train as the filter absorbs alot of the excess moisture. Also in public it gives you the "cool" factor lol

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I started with a cob myself and than progressed to briars, however, i now have about 7 different cobs from missouri meerschaum and they are wonderful smoking pipes.

In fact i find there are a couple blends i like that taste better in a cob for whatever reason. The price can't be beat and boy are they tough little suckers.

Love my cobs. Definitely get one and you will see what everybody is talking about, and ya, they do look cool. lol
Puffing on a cob in front of a bonfire with a cold beer in hand...ahhhh can't wait for the summer !

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have bad PAD so I have a collection much larger than I'll admit to my wife but...I have found I grab one of my 6 or so cobs more and more. They smoke well, cool and with little or no thought. If I drop it, so what, it's only a $10.00 pipe. If I set it down and forget where, so what. Yes it doesn't look as classy as a meer or a briar but I color mine to make them my own. The tabacco doesn't seem to know I'm "slumming ". I guess I'm saying I'm becoming a "cob snob". I don't buy pipe for investments, that what guns are for. Try one, if you don't like it...it's a $10.00 pipe for goodness sake. I willing to bet you won't regret it., many for us are closet cob smokers!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Get a few cobs. I'd recommend the ones with larger bowls although one small bowl for short smokes isn't a bad thing. They smoke good and are very forgiving. Given the price of a cob, why would you ask vs find out for yoursel?. Same price as buying a tin of tobacco to try.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
This ones my favorite so far

The dwarf cobbit

e01be6a5-b504-49cf-a87b-f663b292b2db-450x600.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
They're good for channeling your inner Huckleberry Finn; but there's something incongruous about smoking a $.25/gram boutique tobacco blend in a cob.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I think briars look better, only advantage IMO. Cobs don’t ghost easily, nice wide open draws, can last a long long time. There are a lot of different looking briars, cobs do not have that many designs if you are into the looks department. To each his own.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Cobs are easily obtainable along with being a good cheap smoker. I can walk into any Walgreens near me and pick one up for about $10.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Smoke a good burley-forward out of a cob. One of the Runowski’s, like Haunted Bookshop, Morley’s Best, etc. That should add a cob or three to your collection!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If I didn't fish or sometimes toil hard out of doors, I probably wouldn't own a "disposable" pipe. They are extremely practical for me where a nice briar or meerschaum is contraindicated. They smoke no better, no worse than a briar I simply do not like the heft nor find them particularly attractive to my eye.
Now when driving a chainsaw or if I dressed as "Mammy Abner" for Halloween, that's where the cobs shine. They'll take abuse and when one floats merrily down the creek ... you're not out much.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
Theanks all, I am super convienced
@ Warren: I really like your writing style, :worship:

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
My cob smoking is rather cyclical. I usually prefer briars, but every now and then a cob just hits the spot. And like others have mentioned, they're an excellent no-fuss option when you would worry about the possibility of a more valuable pipe being damaged.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
During my last culling, the cobs went nowhere. Love them myself.
My favorites.
20180224_002736.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Cobs are fantastic! I'd recommend them for anyone, especially cosmic, even though all he's gonna do is beat the shit out of you with it and throw it away for offering it to him, but alas, I digress... They're great smokers, and like real meerschaum, do a great job of mitigating moisture. Run them through hell and they'll pop out the other side scorched, but smiling and ask you to run it through again as the first time was just a vacation.
I also love trying new blends in my cobs to see what pipe I might want to smoke it in. I'm trying to keep one pipe strictly for Virginias and don't really want to inject too much latakia into the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.