Believe or not, never owned a corn cob, should I get one??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've owned cobs. I've tried to like cobs. I only have 2 left. I'm a briar guy. Simple.
Not a thing wrong with that, I tried to like meers, but they got the axe during my last downsizing. All cobs and Briars for me.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Do it. It’s a right of passage. I have three and rarely smoke them. But darn they are great to have.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have three and smoke them all often. One is for Lakeland’s, one Is for burley and one is for Virginia’s.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Love my cobs. Have 5 now. With the forever stem, they are outstanding to smoke. My wife bought me one for this past Christmas. Fancy stained one. Small but smokes like a dream.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
See I always leave that portion of the stem in. I believe it makes it faster to round out the bottom. If you cut that part out, it would take longer to fill in with cake. Ymmv.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I thought I read somewhere the extra stem in the chamber is to help chambers without the wooden plug in the bottom. The stem protects from burnout. I could be wrong. Only some of the MM cobs have a wooden plug in the bottom. I leave the stem alone and I've never had a problem.

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
I also started with cobs, patriots and even the mini short stop cobs. Kept burning through most of them, either the bottom or the walls. Most likely due to my lack of technique. But the good thing for Missouri Meerschaum corn cobs is they sell stems to replace the old and chewed or loose stems you might have.

The one that lasts up to date for me is the MM Dagner Poker stand easy which has a hard wood plugged at the bottom of the bowl. Quite pricey for a cob but it does have an acrylic stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Missouri Meerschaum cob pipes well enough to recommend buying one of the series that comes with an acrylic stem, such as the Dagner, the Charlie Town, or the recent St. Pat's Day. You can get a regular MM cob pipe with the soft plastic stem for about $5 to $8, but a pipe with an acrylic stem costs about $24. I've ceased to consider them disposable or temporary. They're good for beginning smokers because they are easy to smoke, but they're good for anyone for the same reason. I'm indifferent to how classy or not they may look. If I had on a tux and I had one of my cobs, I'd smoke it without a second thought. People who bring problems with them will find something to disparage; I only seek to avoid those folks.

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
Sure pick one up ! I have a few and lately I find myself smoking them more than my other briar pipes. I find the cobs are great for taking to work and they smoke great ! You just can’t go wrong picking one up .

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My first pipe was a hardwood MM, and it still works just fine thank you very much. They are solidly made and very durable. They tend to get the reputation for being disposable, but that is only because they are inexpensive, not cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.