PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The CPCC show is long over but I've been crazy busy and haven't looked through my bags till today. I had a great show the usual highlight being time spent hanging out with the gang at dinner and a nightly smoke filled room with guys who share my love of collecting pipes.

I picked up 5 Castello pipes and a Dunhill ODA Dublin one, the shape 30 bent apple, being a pipe I've wanted in my collection for over twelve years. I collect tampers and I got 2 a Castello and a Wolfgang Becker along with a few do-dads I picked up.

dscn2615.jpg

Paper is a very important part of my collection along with some crisp very well produced brochures that were new to me I was thrilled with a very impressive handout from Caminetto and a coffee table like show catalog from a recent show in China with outstanding photo's gifted to me by Luca of Neatpipes.com. I managed to remember to bring my copy of Neatpipes The Five Laws of Pipe-Companioning to have it signed by the author and contributors.

I attended Neill Roans presentation and preview of his Blue Riband display on Friday and got a copy of his new book.

dscn2616.jpg

I really don't need tobacco but I stocked (not shown) up on tins generously provided by Sutliff! My hats off to Paul and this fine company for all they do for the show and the pipe community!

I got a couple of very well aged tins of Frog Morton and cigars from the dinner on Saturday. 8O

dscn2617.jpg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
And After

I returned home to two boxes

I've wanted a Castello ashtray since I saw one in Hamlin's mailer years ago. I've never seen one for sale at show or eBay but I was put in contact with a collector who is downsizing. I also got a tamper and pipe rest from him.

dscn2614.jpg

I was happy to "win" but disappointed in the low price in two almost mint pipes by long time MKE carver, my friend E Andrew. These are two pipes of Ed's and sold by Keith Moore formerly of Uptown's Lion, Witch and Wardrobe series. These are great pipes when Ed was at the top level of artisan carvers. I need the Wardrobe pipe if anyone has a line on one please let me know!! 8O

dscn2613.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
I understand why it took you so long to fill in that shape 30. I don't think I haver ever seen one of this - certainly not one of the most common Castello shapes. The ashtray is stunning.
I have actually been trying to order Neil's Blue Riband book. His site says go to Briar Books Press to order, so I go there, and there doesn't seem to be anyway to order the book.
How many Castellos are you up to now?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I understand why it took you so long to fill in that shape 30. I don't think I haver ever seen one of this - certainly not one of the most common Castello shapes.

I was thrilled after all these years that the previous owner decided to pass the pipe on to my collection. It will have a good home. Until I found my rock style on eBay a few years ago this was the only Epoca in the 30 shape the Castello guys I know knew of. Here is a photo of the rock and candle.

dscn2618.jpg

How many Castellos are you up to now?

Just over 200 which is nothing in the Castello world. The only thing that got me on the map is the Epoca collection.

I have actually been trying to order Neil's Blue Riband book. His site says go to Briar Books Press to order, so I go there, and there doesn't seem to be anyway to order the book.

I think they should be in any day keep checking back at Briar Books or send Gary an email. It's a beautiful book that belongs in every collectors library. 8O

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Dave,
It was fun as always. I was impressed with the stack when you showed it to me, but that damn 30 is a true stunner!
Love the ashtray!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think that Gary is expecting the remaining copies of Neill's Blue Riband book in the next week or two. I'm sure if you shoot him an email he'll set one aside

Status
Not open for further replies.