PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarherald13

Lurker
Oct 3, 2015
http://imgur.com/GRdgOid
Is this the beginning of burnout, or is it simply a spot where the cake has fallen off? It's an Icarus pipe (made by Briarworks), and I've smoked it probably 20 times, so it's possible the cake hasn't completely built up there either.
It's one of my favorite pipes, so I'd love opinions and tips. Thanks!

May 4, 2015
GRdgOid.jpg

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
It looks like a spot of bare briar to me, like the precarb flaked off, probably caused by a pipe cleaner since it's exactly across from the draft hole. I would think it should cake up again fine if you just keep smoking it.

briarherald13

Lurker
Oct 3, 2015
It looks like a spot of bare briar to me, like the precarb flaked off, probably caused by a pipe cleaner since it's exactly across from the draft hole. I would think it should cake up again fine if you just keep smoking it.
thanks for putting me at ease!

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Nothing to worry about, you could put some pipe mud on it or just wait for it to cake over.

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I'd have to agree with Calabashed, it looks like the cake has been knocked off by a pipe cleaner. It'll cake over again just take it easy for a little bit.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Was the pipe chamber coated when you got it? I'd also echo: Not to worry!
Thanks for posting the image. Couldn't figure out how to do it.
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

briarherald13

Lurker
Oct 3, 2015
Thanks everyone for the tips and opinions!
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it's going to carbon over after a few smokes. Nothing to see here, move along.

stanwebber

Lurker
Mar 26, 2013
it's a gnat bite. i've been careless and done what looks to be serious damage, only to remove all the cake and discover pristine briar. i've also done what looks to be serious damage and that's what it turned out to be. pipe mud and more cake covers up all sins.

Status
Not open for further replies.