Beginner Virginia or VaPerRecommendations?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
I'm a fairly new pipe smoker and generally like aromatics, but I want to start branching out into non-aros. I've enjoyed mixing a burley with a straight cavendish and I know I don't like latakia, so I'm thinking that a straight virginia or maybe a vaper is a good place to start. What's a good introduction to non-aros in this category? Something that's kind of middle-of-the-road, not too challenging, that the relatively inexperienced palate can appreciate. In other words, what's the 1Q of non-aros?

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Macbaren Virginia #1

Dunhill Flake

Dunhill Elizabethan

Codger burley/ Virginia mixtures like Carter Hall

SG Full Virginia Flake

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
VA mixtures pretty much tin ready ( might need some slight drying )
Dunhill Royal Yacht ( watch the Nic )

Dunhill Three Year Matured
VA flakes tin ready
Dunhill Flake

Brigham Klondike Gold

GL Pease Navigator
VA/Per tin ready
Dunhill Elizabethan

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

Escudo ( basically DDNR with not as much age on it )
I advise against SG FVF. While a very good straight VA flake, the effort of preparation might be overwhelming for a new smoker, or even a seasoned one who doesn't care much for the aggravation, such as I.....

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I am primarily not a VA or VA/Per smoker but found myself drawn to them in the hot weather. Now I keep buy different kinds to try. Threads like this are terrible as I just added a few more to add my list! Old Gowrie keeps rearing its head on my radar. Guess I better get some of that to try as well.
As for the OP enjoy your journey out of the realm of aromatics. I have tried about a quarter of the blends listed above and each of them had something new and interesting to offer.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Some really great Va/Pers come from the fertile mind of Russ Oullette. Try these if you haven't already:
Fire Storm

Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake

Hearth & Home LJ Heart

Hearth & Home Rolando's Own

Hearth & Home Viprati (Marquee Series)
In addition, I add in from Russ:

Chatham Manner from his Mid-Town Series

Chestnut from Mid-Town Series
That should satisfy that Va/Per tooth and the two Mid-Town series are just two great Va/Bur and old-time codger smokes with Burley

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
+3 for McClelland 5100
Dunhill's Elizabethan is indeed a great intro to the world of VaPers.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
McClelland Deep Hollow would be a good one for you. It's a Va/Aro crossover, and a very pleasing smoke.

I don't usually recommend flakes to new guys, but most of the Va's and Va/Pers I like are either flakes or coins.

That said, they're not that hard to deal with on e you get the hang of them.

So here's my list of Va's and Va/Pers;
Va's
Brigham Klondike Gold

Orlik Golden Sliced (some say its a Va/Per, I say it's not)

McClelland 221b Black Shag

Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster

Capstan Blue

Mac Baren Roll Cake

McClelland 221b Honeydew Flake

McClelland Christmas Cheer

Mac Baren Virginia Flake
Va/Pers
Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

Escudo

Comoy's Cask No. 7

Mac Baren Dark Twist

Mac Baren HH Acadian
Also, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake is another good Va/Aro hybrid.

Mar 1, 2014
How do you know you know you don't like Latakia?

The closest thing I can compare it to is eating chicken soup beside a campfire. If that sounds bad to you then fair enough, but when I was starting out I got a horrible misrepresentation of Latakia, and it took a while before I gave it another shot.
Back on topic, Samuel Gawith St. James Flake is my favourite natural blend, it's right up there with Escudo or any other top VaPer (Virginia Perique).

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
I say I don't like latakia because my first pipe smoking experience was with a friend who gave be a few pipes and a bunch of tobacco. All of it had some latakia in it. One was a really strong Balkan. I tried a few bowls and decided that I didn't like pipes. Didn't try again for about 15 years. I might like just a tiny touch of latakia, but I have a reaction to it now like when you get sick on something and then can't handle it for a while. So, I don't know. Maybe something with just a little touch...
And thanks everyone for the suggestions. Quite a shopping list! I can't wait to try some of these. You guys are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.