PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Never hurts to stuff it in a jar, Samwise, if you have one... But if it was decently moist upon opening, I’m sure it would be fine 3-6 months in a tin. But Jar it if you have one, because you never know how long you might want to keep it.

Judging by this forum, lots have started smoking pipes because of LOTR, amazing. Me too, but I previously smoked cigars.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first tin of tobacco. I popped the vacuum seal yesterday. Should I remove it and store it in a Ball jar? I don’t plan to get through it all for a couple months.
Thank you,

sampuffy

If it's an aromatic, I try to reseal as soon as possible (just me). I dont have much English blends but they are all sealed as well. I need to buy more ball jars now tbh. Just got 8oz of Sutliff Creme Brulee that I need to seal up. I doubt it will lose all flavor in the course of a week in a Ziploc though ?

Reactions: seanv

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If it's an aromatic, I try to reseal as soon as possible (just me). I dont have much English blends but they are all sealed as well. I need to buy more ball jars now tbh. Just got 8oz of Sutliff Creme Brulee that I need to seal up. I doubt it will lose all flavor in the course of a week in a Ziploc though ?
I've got Altadis(Sutliff) Chocolate Truffle from 2010 jarred. Still tastes like the new stuff.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
A good quality ziploc bag will keep it in good shape for a week or two but any longer and I put it in a jar. Keep in mind the humidity where I live is often around 10%. Someplace like the border of North & South Carolina, where friend lives, the humidity is often over 90% so he can get away without jarring much longer than I can.

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
Congrats on your first tin! Next thing you know, you will have several tins opened. It’s a slippery slope now?

I would most definitely jar if you think you will take months. When I first started, a had a Gurka and Peterson blend go dry within weeks. But I was also leaving them in my car, etc. stupid me!

I have around 12 opened tins I am smoking through that I keep in a humidor shaped like this. E194BE84-27DB-46BD-BFAB-5BC0F4528554.jpeg

For me, I believe it does help preserve freshness of my tins as I work my way sampling through them. They fit perfectly in it. Since I’m sampling a whole lot, deciding what is cellar worthy, I just don’t want to jar everything I open as I have a lot of jars in my cellar already. Also, maybe it’s just the organizational aesthetics of it.. but I generally work my way through a tin within a few weeks to month. If I really enjoy the blend, it could just be a few days to a week.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first tin of tobacco. I popped the vacuum seal yesterday. Should I remove it and store it in a Ball jar? I don’t plan to get through it all for a couple months.
Thank you,

sampuffy
I'm in Stumptown too. If you're going to take a couple of months, you should jar it. If you can't find a jar, you can try keeping it outside under a covered area!

Sam_Gamgee

Lurker
Nov 22, 2020
Portland, Oregon
Never hurts to stuff it in a jar, Samwise, if you have one... But if it was decently moist upon opening, I’m sure it would be fine 3-6 months in a tin. But Jar it if you have one, because you never know how long you might want to keep it.

Judging by this forum, lots have started smoking pipes because of LOTR, amazing. Me too, but I previously smoked cigars.
Thanks elvishrunes. I just put it in a jar. Can’t wait to try it this week. I haven’t read LOTR in over a decade but my wife and I began reading it aloud this fall, which coincided with my deepening interest in pipe smoking. My name is Sam so it was low hanging fruit! Tolkien even more so CS Lewis are among my favorite authors/thinkers.

Sam_Gamgee

Lurker
Nov 22, 2020
Portland, Oregon
Congrats on your first tin! Next thing you know, you will have several tins opened. It’s a slippery slope now?

I would most definitely jar if you think you will take months. When I first started, a had a Gurka and Peterson blend go dry within weeks. But I was also leaving them in my car, etc. stupid me!

I have around 12 opened tins I am smoking through that I keep in a humidor shaped like this. View attachment 55470

For me, I believe it does help preserve freshness of my tins as I work my way sampling through them. They fit perfectly in it. Since I’m sampling a whole lot, deciding what is cellar worthy, I just don’t want to jar everything I open as I have a lot of jars in my cellar already. Also, maybe it’s just the organizational aesthetics of it.. but I generally work my way through a tin within a few weeks to month. If I really enjoy the blend, it could just be a few days to a week.
Thanks DonutLuvr! It’s been such a pleasure so far. With this tin (Peterson’s My Mixture 965) and the several bulk tobaccos I’ve purchased I think I have to stop myself from buying more until I get through all I have now, haha. I’m excited to continue sampling other tobaccos though.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
I wouldn't worry about it, given your location. That said, jarring it will give you an excuse to buy more pipe and tobacco related stuff, thus further entwining you in the sweet, sweet embrace of our mother hobby.

Smoke more... faster. puffy

I've never had tobacco dry out in the Alabama climate. I've actually had a tin of MacB's Mixture Flake setting open for a week, and it's still not any drier. Usually I have to force it dry by putting the tin on a coffee mug warmer or the dashboard of my truck for a few days.

I did pop a 4 year old jar of Super Balkan a few weeks ago that was dry as bone in the jar, so I left it out and open, and now it's almost too wet to smoke.

There is no one size fits all. It really depends more on your environmental conditions.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Hi everyone,

Thank you,

sampuffy
Don't worry about it, I keep everything in their original opened tins, sometimes for up to 6 or 8 months, have never used jars and never noticed any drop in quality. I would imagine that if you are going to store some for periods of a few years then jars are a good thing...I don't cellar any of my tobacco though so I wouldn't know.