PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Micklander

Lurker
Feb 22, 2022
Austin, TX
Hey all,

I’ve been smoking regularly for a few months now and I have some of the basics down. My cellar currently includes PS Luxury Navy Flake, PS Cube Cut, Mac Baren Vanilla Roll Cake and ODF, Peterson My Mixture 965, and Hearth and Home Black House. I enjoy all of these for their own reasons and certainly appreciate all of the variety of flavors they offer. That being said, I recently opened the Black House and have smoked nothing else for the last several days. I am really enjoying it.

I am interested in trying some of the very heavy Latakia blends and I know after looking around I should try Ten Russians, Star of the East Flake and Pirate Kake but I want to know what y’all personally recommend for English blends and any other “must try” blends of all varieties. Your guidance and opinions are greatly appreciated!

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
You asked for opinion, I deliver: Latakia should be a condiment, not a major component of a blend. I would be wary of very heavy latakia blends, lest one eventually tire of the leaf, due to overdosing. Many here, apparently, are ex-latakia lovers, and some now avoid it altogether. Seems obvious what happened.

As for "must try" blends: they all are. You seem off to a great start, and have obviously done your research. But it's all so subjective. Every man for himself, I say--ergo, I'm done.

Micklander

Lurker
Feb 22, 2022
Austin, TX
You asked for opinion, I deliver: Latakia should be a condiment, not a major component of a blend. I would be wary of very heavy latakia blends, lest one eventually tire of the leaf, due to overdosing. Many here, apparently, are ex-latakia lovers, and some now avoid it altogether. Seems obvious what happened.

As for "must try" blends: they all are. You seem off to a great start, and have obviously done your research. But it's all so subjective. Every man for himself, I say--ergo, I'm done.
Opinion well received! I can see the logic here. Perhaps I should stick to trying more English blends before diving head-first into many of those very heavy smokes.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Opinion well received! I can see the logic here. Perhaps I should stick to trying more English blends before diving head-first into many of those very heavy smokes.
I think the point is that you may not want to seek out higher Latakia in your English blends, but rather try some more Latakia blends. Sure, that might mean giving Pirate Kake try. But next maybe try something more mild on the Latakia. You will find no shortage of suggestions on tobaccos to buy here...but tastes are subjective and what you crave may not be more Latakia, but simply more within the genre.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Presbyterian. I agree with BurleyBreath, a small amount of Latakia, as a condiment, goes a long way. I’ve smoked Pirate Cake and have given it to a friend. The Lat Bombs aren’t my thing. But Presbyterian, which I’m recently enjoying is perceptible smokiness but it’s not the star. The Orientals and sweetness of the blend make it my suggestion for your list.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
not really an english but really good on the latakia front. Is Mac Barren H.H. latakia flake. There is VA in it but it's more like sugar in coffee. I.e. rounds out and smooths some of the edges but it's still latakia that's the star player. First latakia blend I really got into. IF you enjoy latakia it's a must try in my opinion. Doesn't at all have the same qualities as English blends. That's my suggestion to you sir.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Isn’t Black House one of the best? I keep a lot of it. It’s a lot more than just latakia though, keep that in mind. The White Knight is also good, not nearly as heavy. Balkan Sasieni is very good and easy to smoke. Try a range of latakia blends. I’m a big fan of star of the east, just not all of the time as it smokes very fast and is all latakia flavor. My favorite blend that has latakia in it is Old Dublin by Peterson, the orientals in it are what does it for me. They’re different.

If you can find it, SG balkan flake is one of the coolest smoking lat flakes I’ve ever had. It doesn’t become available very often though. Presby mixture is also a staple and is very easy going. Hope this helps!