1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I have a 1998 (IIRC) limited edition cocobolo Taylor 714CE guitar that I bought sometime around 2001. I’ve traveled and played all over with that baby. And it’s got its fair share of nicks and scratches from being on the road.

About 10 winters ago it got a pretty long dry crack in the grain on the top. Not a big deal, but this one ran from the bridge and was spreading toward the bracing. So I took it to be repaired by a local legend. Well, not repaired per se, but to have the crack stopped from spreading.

Turns out this local legend’s expertise is mainly in electric guitars. He cleated and gorilla glued my all-time fave piece. This is way too aggressive for an acoustic guitar. Lost all pliability in the belly and sounded like a cheap toy. Not a $3k guitar that I’d spent a decade playing and aging to perfection.

I went to another luthier friend and he undid what he could. But the guitar just wasn’t the same.

It became clear that I needed to remove the pick guard to help it “open up” more. I decided to do this without using heat so as not to risk warping the top wood and making the situation worse.

Mistake.

When I had it about 90% off, the finish failed to hold the last little piece of it as I gently pulled it off, and it tore some of the top layer of wood off. I was sick.

But you know what? It sounded great again! Not as great as it did before, mind you. But still better than most.

But I always keep my instruments looking good. Not an option here. So now it has what they call “character.” Not as much character as Trigger, Willie Nelson’s guitar, but I’ve learned to embrace it.

Now you’ve got a pipe with character.

Cheers.

North Pole piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2021
Rural, Manitoba Canada.
Beauty mark, yes. Like Cindy Crawford’s back in the day. It’s not too bad really, you should see some of my first pipes before I learnt what worked for me. They looked like someone took a welders torch to them, lol. Don’t sweat it brother, it’s part of the journey.

Reactions: BROBS
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Honestly, It looks superficial to me. I did it a few times to my old used and abused eBay pipes and my Carolina Gent cob when I was using matches and getting started. It rubbed off with repeated spit and a paper towel.

Beautiful pipe by the way. :)

Reactions: BROBS