PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I could kick myself in the butt. I'm quasi new to pipes. I got an awesome nose warmer for JB. I know you aren't supposed to use a torch. I turned the flame all the way down. I was sure I could point it to the center of the chamber and not cause an issue. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I'll consider it a life lesson and move on. Might take an extra Prozac for the next few days. Question is, what to do. Should I try gently buffing it out with a dremel and wax or leave it the hell alone? Anu suggestions would be much appreciated. The burn is at 11 o'clock. This pipe smokes great.

pipe burn.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As these things go, that's a beauty mark. A little spit and an abrasive paper towel might do wonders. I'd enjoy the pipe and take your time deciding how much restoration is needed. I prefer the soft flame of a match, but I still get some charring on the brim from time to time.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I doesn't look too bad. Just roll with it & keep on smoking, next time though... use a soft flame.

If you do clean it up, whatever you do... don't use the same cleaner PeterPiperPizza put on his pipe and you should be ok. ?

BTW; you should see the rims on a few of my pipes. ?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
failure is learning! And my other favourite (so long as I am quoting to someone else, and not applying to my own problems) "You cant fix it if it aint broke!"
I have experienced both victory in defeat and defeat in victory. As a result, I try and become either richer or smarter with every experience.

Sometimes, becoming smarter leads to being richer.

And while I agree if it ain't broke, don't fix it; however, there is an apex theory where as soon as something is perfect the thing can no longer be considered perfect since there is always a next level. So while I tend not to meddle with "perfection" I'm always looking for better efficiency or ways to improve.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have experienced both victory in defeat and defeat in victory. As a result, I try and become either richer or smarter with every experience.

Sometimes, becoming smarter leads to being richer.

And while I agree if it ain't broke, don't fix it; however, there is an apex theory where as soon as something is perfect the thing can no longer be considered perfect since there is always a next level. So while I tend not to meddle with "perfection" I'm always looking for better efficiency or ways to improve.
You must have been skim reading! My quote was not "if it aint broke, dont fix it", but rather "you cant fix it if it aint broke!"