PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
If going by the Bible it states we have dominion over animals. A King or Queen has dominion over their people. Can they eat their subjects?

No, I wasnt referencing the bible. I'm just telling you how it is for me and 99 percent of our country. Most people in the world who do not eat meat do it out of poverty, not principle.. I have spent some weeks included in there as well.

How about dogs? They are less intelligent than a pig. How about a 2 year old child? Again, less intelligent than a pig.

I love ya dude, but damn.. youre comparing things that aren't remotely the same. I wasnt refering to the intelligence of our livestock animals, I never take that into consideration when picking a meal.

Dogs are our friends.. Our kids are the the future of our species.. the reason for all our hard work.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I lived on a pig and grain farm as a small child, I can confirm that some pigs are quite intelligent. But, like dogs there is a very wide range. Working breeds like border collies, labradors, and GSDs are far smarter than decorative toy breeds. Most pigs are dumb as rocks. The farm I lived on kept the smart and personable pigs for breeding and sold the bad tempered, stupid, or vicious pigs, except for the big breeding boar named George, who was ill tempered, stupid, and vicious, but enormous enough to be kept for breeding based on his size, muscularity, and good health.

By Canadian law all slaughtering is done by government approved facilities. Farmers are only allowed to kill animals for personal/family sustenance, not for sale, and definitely not for disposal. There are a lot of farmers and feedlots going broke right now feeding cows that can't be processed due to covid outbreaks causing shutdowns/slowdowns in the biggest meat processing plants.
A few years back there was a local guy charged severely because there was a hay shortage and he didn't provide sufficient sustenance for proper care of animals.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
No, I wasnt referencing the bible. I'm just telling you how it is for me and 99 percent of our country. Most people in the world who do not eat meat do it out of poverty, not principle.. I have spent some weeks included in there as well.

I love ya dude, but damn.. youre comparing things that aren't remotely the same. I wasnt refering to the intelligence of our livestock animals, I never take that into consideration when picking a meal.

Dogs are our friends.. Our kids are the the future of our species.. the reason for all our hard work.
No you are not comparing things that ARE remotely the same.
A dog is an animal, a pig is an animal, a cow is an animal. What’s the difference? If it’s not based on intelligence why? It’s all about some opinion of dogs over other animals, and not based on any fact. People eat meat just because it’s what they know and is easiest. It’s not a need.

Not picking on you individually but re-read your comment and mine and think about it critically. There is no good argument besides “just cuz”.

I feel ya man, I’ve been there and used to eat meat. But I couldn’t keep contributing to the death and suffering of living beings.

Thou shalt not kill... Doesn’t specify only humans.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I lived on a pig and grain farm as a small child, I can confirm that some pigs are quite intelligent. But, like dogs there is a very wide range. Working breeds like border collies, labradors, and GSDs are far smarter than decorative toy breeds. Most pigs are dumb as rocks. The farm I lived on kept the smart and personable pigs for breeding and sold the bad tempered, stupid, or vicious pigs, except for the big breeding boar named George, who was ill tempered, stupid, and vicious, but enormous enough to be kept for breeding based on his size, muscularity, and good health.

By Canadian law all slaughtering is done by government approved facilities. Farmers are only allowed to kill animals for personal/family sustenance, not for sale, and definitely not for disposal. There are a lot of farmers and feedlots going broke right now feeding cows that can't be processed due to covid outbreaks causing shutdowns/slowdowns in the biggest meat processing plants.
A few years back there was a local guy charged severely because there was a hay shortage and he didn't provide sufficient sustenance for proper care of animals.
A slight step in the right direction in Canada at least with laws like that.
Same here with government approved slaughtering but that doesn’t mean shit.

Especially now with disease running rampant through meat processing and packing facilities. A bunch of government meat inspectors have died already.. along with many workers.

you never know what the pigs thought of you....

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The human race evolved as omnivores. That means whatever god, gods, goddesses, or accidental quark that went BANG meant for humans to eat meat.
Actually our ancestors needed it to evolve the brains we have now. It’s no longer a necessary part of the diet.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If you feel shame, that’s your own. ?
It’s fine I know I won’t convince anyone... no one likes to change.

But you have no sadness killing an animal you raised? Look that being in the eyes. It’s unethical and your conscience knows it.

Goodnight.
?
I apologize... as you can tell I’m passionate about animals.

Aug 1, 2012
Well that escalated quickly.

I won't debate the morals of eating meat as it is not something I am likely to change my mind on anytime soon. (In case you're wondering I am what you might call an "adventurous eater" and eat just about anything...however I just couldn't do a balut)

I have also raised animals for wool, food and what my parents called "fun"...raising them just to eat grass, get free so I would have to fix the fence, and poop was not what I would call fun but WTH.

I also gained a healthy perspective on the people who hunt for the horns rather than the meat. :mad:

I also (until Mr. Covid came along) lived in a country/state where vegetarian is the norm not the exception and eat strict veg at least 3 days a week (also means no eggs, only non-vegan items are honey and milk) Also, beef is illegal there.

From my experience, I gotta say, y'all just gotta calm down. In India, where I work now, people who venerate life can happily and caringly coexist with those who eat meat. Those who love steak will still happily break bread with strict-veg people and eat veg along with them.

If you need another also, the food in my last post, Latvia was actually real. Potatoes actually tasted like something before they were fried. Strawberries were the right size, not as big as apples and tasted like strawberries, not cucumbers. Pork was amazing, unlike the stuff I get in the US right now which makes me physically sick (has since I was a kid). Maybe we could just eat some real food instead of whatever the newest engineering makes us believe is food.

Oh goodness, I got on my soapbox too...oops.

Forgive me please, I'll go back to my corner now.

Reactions: BROBS

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
For me the problem with evangelical veganism (apart from being politics which can be very devisive and does not belong here) is that equating and comparing the value and sanctity of animal life to that of human life is not raising the value of animal life it is devaluing human life. Which is extremely dangerous and a huge step towards culling people (be it in the name of veganism, saving the planet or "punch a Nazi").
The sanctity of human life is the most fundamental building block of what has enabled us to build a civilized society with room for among other things veganism and pipesmoking.

Just my two cents, not meaning to cause offense, appollogies and I to will get of my soap box now.

Perhaps a lock of this thread would be in place?

Reactions: BROBS and brian64
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Animals and meat have a vital role in a properly managed small farm system. I'm definitely not approving of the modern factory meat farm system, or monoculture farming either for that matter.

A proper sustainable farming system would be for all farms to be smaller, and have a variety of animal, grain, and vegetable crops that are rotated.

Animals graze, till the soil, and fertilize while producing milk, eggs, and meat in the form of excess male offspring (which need to be separated from the other animals anyway). The dietary validity of milk and meat is an entirely separate argument I won't even get into lol.

The plants produce far greater yields when grown in rotation with animals. When the animals reach the end of their lifespan they are also eaten, instead of rotting and going to waste.

Living on a small farm feeding and caring for the same animals every day you usually have a respectful relationship with the animals as well, and I would consider it disrespectful to just kill an elderly animal and let it rot.

There is more than enough food produced to feed both humans and animals using less than half the current farmland, but the amount of senseless waste in our system and improper management/political restrictions create artificial shortages leading to people and animals going hungry.

When I was young I worked at a couple different grocery stores, and there was enough food being thrown in the garbage crusher every single day to feed the entire homeless population of the city for a month. There were 20 other grocery stores in the same city doing the same thing, and thousands across the country.

Governments in most western countries have also imposed ridiculous restrictions on their people preventing them from producing their own food in sufficient quantities.

I agree with you in part, but I think that there is (or potentially can be) such a thing as ethical meat production, if based on a traditional small mixed farm model, not giant monoculture farming.

Also, have you guys tried beef bacon? It's fantastic.
Very well said. I produce most of my families food on 5 acres of ground not much of a farm but it is enough to keep us feed. Yes we still buy thing at the store but its more satisfying when you grow your own and maintain your own little slice of heaven. And as for beef bacon i thought that was a brisket:col:

Reactions: canucklehead
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
No you are not comparing things that ARE remotely the same.
A dog is an animal, a pig is an animal, a cow is an animal. What’s the difference? If it’s not based on intelligence why? It’s all about some opinion of dogs over other animals, and not based on any fact. People eat meat just because it’s what they know and is easiest. It’s not a need.

Not picking on you individually but re-read your comment and mine and think about it critically. There is no good argument besides “just cuz”.

I feel ya man, I’ve been there and used to eat meat. But I couldn’t keep contributing to the death and suffering of living beings.

Thou shalt not kill... Doesn’t specify only humans.
Some countries do eat dog and horse. I am an animal lover too. Hell I like animals more than most humans. But i believe every person should be responsible for their actions to themselves and their God. If you feel the need to eat meat eat meat and dont yell at someone if they feel the opposite. This life we live in now has gotten to the point where "if you dont agree with me you are just wrong". These are truly dark days and sad days for the human race

Status
Not open for further replies.